Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I had Herpangina??

Herpan.. what?? I know it sounds like one of those words only spoken in hushed voices at the ob/gyn office, but before you get the creeps and wonder why I'm posting about it on my blog let me explain... It's not an STD!!!!!..It started out as headache, sore neck and throat... I thought for sure I was just getting a head cold so I popped some ibuprofen and started to feel better.... but then the ibuprofen started to wear off and I knew I was getting something worse than a head cold... sure enough before I knew it I was shaking violently with chills and a high fever, my throat felt raw and my eyes were on fire!! I thought for sure that I had strep throat, but no, even worse.... I have never been so sick in my life!!! Herpangina is a version of the childhood illness hand, foot and mouth... But it only affects the mouth (canker like sores) and is accompanied with flu like symptoms (ha ha... doesn't sound so bad right... that's what I thought at first...) The second night it got so bad I was seriously crying... tears streaming down my face, sobbing.... the next day I was so cold with chills that I had to sit outside in the SUN wearing my fluffy bathrobe and wrapped in five blankets at least....I finally figured out that if I alternated the ibuprofen with Tylenol every 3 hours that I could at least function sort of. My poor family was totally neglected and it hit just in time for the first few days of school... I could not go to "back to school night" and meet the teachers or make a special "back to school breakfast"... I couldn't walk my little guys to the bus stop... I felt SO bad!!! Luckily Glen is perfect it everyway and he did the whole back to school mom stuff that I couldn't. He gathered all the new school supplies, signed all the papers, met the teachers, picked out their clothes, made breakfast and took them to the bus stop!!

Here they are... first day of school 2008

My mom came to the rescue and picked up Gabe, bless her heart!!... My sister's were both here visiting for the summer and they left taking this sickness with them!!... SORRY!!!!! I was hoping that it would end with me, but por Eli came home from his first day of first grade with big tears in his eyes... I greeted him from my death bed on the couch with no homeade cookies or anything?? and asked him what was wrong?? He said that he had fallen asleep twice at school and felt sick all day... sure eonough he had a high fever and I knew he had the gumboo too!!! I asked him why he hadn't called me or told his teacher that he didn't feel well... He answered in a sad little voice... "I didn't know your phone number. and I didn't want my teacher to get mad at me" Poor little guy... with all the changes and such a busy summer I hadn't even taken the time to teach him our new phone number (I know, what????) and I didn't even have the back to school talk about teachers and safety or remind them that they can call me ANY time.... I flet like a horrible mother!!!
anyway long story short.... well not really... sorry this is so long.... anyway Eli got herpangina and then Evan (hopefully Glen stays immune) and we are all just finally feeling better... .SO now I'm hoping to get back in the groove and post about what we've been up to all summer long! It's been a blast and so sad to see come to an end....
stay tuned...oh, and pray that you never get herpangina!!!! :)





13 comments:

Curtis Moser said...

Yikes! I bet you're glad to be feeling better -- and I bet you're REALLY glad it's not an STD!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Em, it was HORRIBLE wasn't it! Thank goodness it is over - hopefully we'll never get it again!

Becca and Kent said...

Oh man! That sounds so horrible! I'm so sorry. And sad little Eli--but I'm sure he'll forget about it sooner than you will. :D I hate being sick, and that one sounds like a nasty!

Shirlene said...

So sorry you all were sick!! Glad you are feeling better. When things like that happen, we sure appreciate feeling good. Take care and don't do too much.
The boys are cute heading out for school. We look forward to hearing about your summer. We have missed you all.

Alleman Family said...

Emily!! How awful!! I can't believe that you were so sick. And the story about Eli was heartbreaking... not knowing the phone number... so sad! How is Eli with the sickness? As bad as you? I'm so sorry! Kinda glad we never came for a play day! :) Call me when you want to get together... Maddie is OVER her colic and I want to show her off! :) She's so fun now!

Jenny Timmerman said...

Wow, that is brutal. It's no fun being sick, but being sick and being the mom is the worst!

Julie said...

Porter just had hand foot and mouth, the Dr. even perscribed tylenol with codiene he had it so bad. I'm sorry, I know he was misserable so you had to be worse. Glad you are all feeling better!!! can't wait to see your posts. these blogs make it so fun to keep updated!!!

Sunny Jo said...

Oh Em, I'm SO sorry!! That is horrible!! I wish that I lived closer so I could bring u a home cooked meal!! Glad to hear that u are all feeling better now!!
Can't wait for the updates!! Miss u girl!!:)

Jamie W. said...

Oh that sounds horrible. I hope I never get that. That's too bad it came now with all that is going on. Hope you guys are getting better.

byebyedays said...

Dang Em, that's BAD STUFF! My sister had that crap about a month ago. There's all sorts of crap going around right now...WATCH OUT FOR THE STOMACH FLU! It's really hit big lately. I just got over it, in fact I'm still feeling the aftermath today...I'm so glad you and your family are getting over it.

Heather said...

Girl! I have been wondering about you. That is terrible. Poor Eli...poor you, poor Glen! I am so glad you are on the mend.I have really missed your updates, and I too, am so thankful we have the blog to keep tabs. I wish I could have come to your rescue! Love ya!

Hamblin Family said...

Wow Emily that is awful! I am glad that you are feeling better! I hate being sick and when you get something weired it is even worse. Sorry I hope it is okay to peek in at your blog. I heard you are back in town. So, Welcome Home! -Amy Hamblin

David said...

Lady! I wish I could've taken care of you!!! I'm glad you're back from sickness land. xoxo Em