Monday, September 1, 2008

Camping is not for sissy's!!!

Almost every year since I was a little girl we've gone camping to Tony Grove up Logan canyon. My dad was a school teacher and although I never knew it, we didn't have a lot of funds, especially for a summer vacation. My mom grew up camping with her family and so camping became our vacation too! We usually went with all of our cousins and my grandparents! We loved it as kids ...and I still do!!! With Glen's new job we knew early on that he would not be able to join us this year, my sisters who are usually here for most of the summer were not going to be here in time, my brother and his family couldn't make it work and my Dad had too many things scheduled with his work.... My mom's family was all going and we didn't want to miss out but the thought of only me and mom going was a bit disheartening... It didn't seem the same, and with a baby who likes warm milk in his bottles, his own bed, exploring EVERY minute and eating dirt... it sounded too crazy! So we decided that we'd just go up to the camp site during the days and visit everyone! Well that sounded good at first, but then as the trip approached and everyone was talking and planning we just couldn't bear the thoughts of not camping, so we decided that we'd brave it

just the two of us...


...and my three boys!!


Tony Grove is my absolute favorite place to visit up Logan canyon! It is beautiful and holds so many fond memories for me! There are wildflowers scattered everywhere




and the lake surrounded by rocks and pines creates the perfect setting.

then nestled up in the hill above the lake are the best camp sites around! I love putting all the windows down in the car as we are winding up the road towards Tony Grove... and inhaling the fresh mountain air mixed with a hint of wildflowers, dew and campfire smoke... It is the best smell in all the world!!


Here are some of the highlights from our camping trip this year...
July 11-13
Playing in the Lake...

Eli and Mathew

Kaili and Mia decided they wanted to get in on the fun too!!
Gabe didn't want to get in but he sure enjoyed throwing anything and everything ( licorice, rocks, dirt, cookies sand toys etc...) into the water

Jonah and Eli catching minnows


Glen and Grandpa came to visit...
after work each night Glen and my Dad drove up to see us and eat dinner with us!! I'm not sure who was more excited to see them each night, my mom and I or the kids??.... (probably my mom and I!!!) It was so nice to have them come and play with the boys, rig up our lantern, hang a clothes line, and just check on us!! Glen built us a fire each night before they left so that we'd have one in the morning! We sure love our sweet manly MEN!!!

We had a family dinner one night where everyone gathers in one camp site and cooks and eats dinner together. Then every other night we just gathered after our own dinners for some campfire songs, stories, smores and roasted starbursts



Canoeing...

My Grandpa who used to build homes and is a very talented carpenter made this canoe... I'm serious, It's the most beautiful canoe I've ever seen, people always stop to admire it and are amazed by his craftsmanship!! Can you even imagine how hard it would be to build a canoe??? He had to bend and shape each piece of wood just perfectly so it would ride smooth and it never leaks!! It's perfect, just like everything else that he builds... His hands can make anything and he is only satisfied when things are perfect! He is one of the hardest working people I know!! I've been in a few canoe's in my life and let me just tell you that NONE of them glide as smooth as my grandpa's!! We all really look forward to spending a day on the lake canoeing!!

my mom and Eli

Glen and some of the kids

dump trucks...
I remember whizzing down the hills at Tony Grove in a beat up Tonka truck with a big grin on my face, racing my cousins, doing stunt tricks and most of all being catapulted out time after time!! This has been a family tradition since the beginning and is definitely one of the highlights each year!!

Look at all those boys... looks like trouble... but boy, do they have FUN!!
left to right :Cole, Aiden, Jonah, Mathew, Eli , Evan, Jeffery

Gabe even got in on the fun!!
Gabe was obsessed with
#1 the flowers. He kept saying "fower" "pity" If he wasn't picking them then he was burying his nose in them giving a big sniff then he's say "mmmm." It seemed that he was constantly bringing my mom and I handfuls of flowers... If that doesn't brighten your whole day I'm not sure anything will... What a little romeo!

#2 pushing the dump trucks. although cute, this was pretty much a pain because our camp site was so hilly so Gabe was covered in dirt from sun up to sun down because he kept sliding and falling and losing control of his truck.... Ahhhhh did I mention that we were so glad to see Glen and my dad arrive in the evenings?? What a BOY!!

#3 exploring.
Gabe definatley kept us on our toes. He loved to wander and especially loved walking up the hills then sliding down on his bottom!! He was seriously a mess but I've never seen a better camper. He took the best naps, was so happy and was just so much fun to watch taking it all in!
Hiking...
Evan left early one morning with the "big kids" and my uncle Cory for a hike to the polygamist caves. He had a great time and was ready for a dip in the lake when he returned. Eli and some of the little kids joined the mom's for a hike around the lake.

Fishing...
My grandpa, bless his heart, is the most patient man I know. He taught me everything I know about fishing and even helped me impress a few boyfriends with not only my fishing skills but my know how on cleaning, gutting and filleting the fish!! He taught me that "if you catch a fish , you clean the fish and eat the fish" Some of my younger cousins must not have learned that lesson.... because although ALL of them were thrilled to catch fish this trip.... NONE of them would clean them... so that was my job!! It's been awhile but once a fish gutter always a fish gutter, I guess?... I don't mind the guts, what gets me is when the fish wiggle a little as you slice their belly (sorry for all those with weak stomaches out there) ... grandpa says it's just nerves... but it totally freaks me out!! Anyway back to my story about the most patient man I know... just look at him... He has taught all of us to fish, look at all the kids gathered, begging for a turn and he takes the time with each one of them making sure that they understand and he never leaves for home until everyone has had a turn reeling in a fish! My love of the outdoors comes from him. I love my grandpa so much and am so thankful for his example. I love that my boys adore him and get to learn from him too.











being together...
There are lots of reasons that we do this annual camping trip... the fresh air, the excitement of sleeping under the stars, the dutch oven and fire cooked meals, the memories.... but most of all we just love being together, that's what life's about right?



We had such a great time camping and I'm so thankful to my mom. She is such a strength to me. We had so much fun together!! I love to see her camping... she loves it!! She shared a tent with my two stinky boys everynight and took care of all of us! She could have been home in her warm comfortable bed, having showers every morning, turning on her stove to eat... but instead she chose to help me make some wonderful memories with my little boys and I love her so much for that and so much more!


p.s. one summer post down... and oh, SO many more to go...



9 comments:

Jenny Timmerman said...

Wow, that sounds like so much fun!

byebyedays said...

Your mom is the cutest! I love camping Tony Grove...It's such a great place to go! Some of my fondest memories are camping with the fam up Tony Grove as well. Your little boys are so dang cute, the littlest one looks just like you!

Josh said...

Oh, what a fabulous post! It just so perfectly describes our annual camping trips. I'm sad I missed out this year, but Kent and I are going to Tony Grove for just the night tomorrow--we can't let the summer go without Tony Grove! Maybe next year more of us will be able to get together for camping.

David said...

Em, can I be part of your family??? What a SUPER fun tradition. I can't wait to go camping with my kiddos... maybe next year - want to come? I miss you!!! xoxo em

Debbie Jones said...

I am so jealous Em, that sounds like so much fun. I remember the times we had at Tony Grove. What a great place! I hope you're doing well, Hopefully we can see you when we come for the race. Have fun at your scrapbook convention! Take Care. Your boys are so adorable!

Julie said...

So glad your posting your summer, I sooo need to. but... I'm too busy reading everyone elses :)
WE miss you terribly!!!!

Shirlene said...

What fun memories you are creating!! Tony Grove looked beautiful! Loved all the pictures. What a neat grandpa you have.

Heather said...

Looks like a blast, you are very, very, very brave to go at it almost alone!If your parents decide their family isnt quite complete, and they really have the urge to find a 30 year old daughter to adopt, let me know, I want to be in your family!!

Anonymous said...

So So Sad I missed it! But I am planning and already looking forward to next year! xoxo