Friday, January 28, 2011

Elf phone

During the month of December as we prepared for Christmas... there was lots curiosity from Gabe concerning Santa.  He wanted to know how Santa's reindeer know how to fly, why Santa wears white gloves, How Santa makes all the toys, etc etc etc... I explained the magic of Christmas the best way I could. I would think he was satisfied and then the next day -more questions!... His imagination has no end  and we had a lot of fun talking about all of the special traditions that Christmas brings.

One morning Gabe ran over to me with giant eyes and a concerned look on his face.  He held his hand out to me in a little fist and said excitedly "MOM, I found an elf phone!"  At first I had no idea what he was talking about.  "what?" I asked him and he quickly uncurled his fingers and there in his palm was a tiny yellow cell phone.



I sat there trying to make it all connect ... and then it registered "elf phone?" but before I could even think how to answer or what to say about it- Gabe had it all figured out- he was chattering excitedly, full of animation. and this was his story..."An elf came to check and see if we were being naughty or nice.  He called Santa to tell him we were being good but then the elf dropped his cell phone on our stairs"... which is exactly where Gabe found it lying!  I listened to this story and I stuttered and was a bit flustered but Gabe kept talking.  He decided that he was going to turn it on and try to call Santa I nodded still baffled...then Gabe discovered that "the battery was dead!" and "there was no charger- shoot!"  Gabe was so worried for this elf who had lost his cell phone... I just watched and listened in shock and disbelief I guess- it was just so sincere and earnest and he was SO excited!  I didn't know what to say... look at that face!





I snapped a few pictures and then we decided to put the phone in a special place so that if the elf came the next night - he would find it... Gabe couldn't leave it alone though and while playing he accidentally dropped the phone down into our heat vent... which was a complete disaster because "now the elf was going to be so mad if he couldn't find his cell phone!"  We got out the flash light and laid on our bellies peering into the dark dusty vent... but nothing!   I even reached my arm into the scary place and could not feel anything... (except spiders and I'm assuming some sort of fur??...yikes!) !  Gabe was more worried.  Evan and Eli joined in on the search when they got home from school they had no luck either!  The phone was gone!  Evan being the fixer that he is-smoothed it over and finally told Gabe that Santa probably has a magic tracker on all of the elf's cell phone's and that with this tracker he would know exactly where the phone is located.  He told Gabe that they would be able to come and find it with this "magic cell phone tracker."  Gabe bought it and I was relieved... I wondered if Gabe would forget about the phone but he talked about it for days after and every once in awhile he still mentions "the elf phone."  

there is not much better than having a three year old around when it's Christmas time.  He sure helped to make ours more magical!  I am hoping to tell you all about it sometime soon!

by the way, can you believe I have written THREE posts this week?  You wanna know how it happened?...  Well here is my secret... I have had 3 very sick children and all they wanted to do all week is lay and watch movies- which meant no fixing lunches, no messes (except the occasional puke, of course!) just watching movie after movie- which left me with a little extra time on my hands- so nice!... Don't get me wrong, having sick kids is the pits - It's just been a bit slower pace around here is all! So now with 3 posts done I am feeling the blogging fever coming back and I am hoping to keep it up a little, if I can... no promises, but wish me luck...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute cute Gabe. sorry you have the yuckies at your house. Hope everyone feels better quick!! Love you guys!!

Joy said...

That was a very cute story!! Your boys are adorable. Sorry about all the sicknesses, we are starting to go through that at our house this week too. Joy

Shirlene said...

Hope everyone is feeling better. I loved hearing about the "elf phone." Kids are so cute!!