I am Proud...
that I love being a mother
that I married the right person
that I have freckles
that my siblings and my parents are my best friends
that I do not work outside my home
that I have an education
that I love living in cache valley
that I am a mormon
that I am meI am proud to be an AMERICAN. The freedoms that I have been given are what make me who I am today. I am so grateful to the men who founded this great land, and to all those who have fought and lost their lives for our freedom! I am so blessed and I know that I take for granted the day to day rights and freedoms that I have... I am grateful that I have never had to experience living without freedom.
When I was in fourth grade we learned some patriotic songs for a concert and I remember feeling butterflies as we stood up for the chorus and sang "I'm Proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free...." I still get butterflies when I hear that song, the national anthem and when crowds stand placing hands over hearts in respect for our flag... my eyes fill with tears every time. I hope that my boys learn to have a deep love and respect for this land and that I can teach them about it's history and power. I hope that I can do better at showing the appreciation and love that I feel for my country in little ways everyday... What a blessing it is to live in America, land of the free home of the brave!
By the way...Don't you just love that picture above of my FOUR boys... I can' t believe they are mine....
anyway, on to the celebrations...
I am in love with fireworks and try to hit as many shows in a summer as possible. We went out to Hyrum early in the week for their town celebration. We sat so close to the fireworks that we had ashes and bits of fireworks falling on us. It was pretty exciting! Eli was is awe and decided that pieces of firework are a real treasure! He gathered lots and lots of pieces so that he could add them to his "special box" (what is that? you ask, well one afternoon the boys painted wooden boxes with a lid that locks, in hopes to keep some of their "special things" safe from Gabe....) The Hyrum fireworks are pretty impressive... some of the best, in my opinion... Gabe kept saying "oh, the fireworks scare me" but as he said it he giggled with a big grin on his face and was dancing around... he is a nut!
On July third my big extended family met on the lawn to watch the Logan city fireworks. We shared treats and conversation then oohed and awed at the fireworks as we listened to the patriotic music blaring from my uncle Kevin's battery powered radio. The songs were not that great this year... and the fireworks seemed far away... but it was still fun! Next year we are definitely going inside the stadium. I know my boys will love that!
The morning of the fourth I awoke to a very quiet house... I thought I remembered hearing the front door open and close a few times but brushed it off as being part of an early morning dream... It was not a dream. Evan woke up early hoping that we were going to a parade. He shook Glen and asked if we were going... Glen said no. So Evan called my parents and asked them if they were going to the parade, hoping that he could go with them I guess?... my mom told him that the parade had already started and it was too late. I'm sure she could feel his disappointment seeping through the phone. Because she is one of the best grandma's on the planet, she asked him if he had eaten breakfast yet. He answered no. So she said you call me when Eli and Gabe wake up and I'll come and take you all to breakfast. She figured they would not wake for awhile at least... but just a few short minutes later... her phone rang and on the other end was Evan... telling her that the other boys were awake. I'm sure he woke them up, he was so excited! My mom and dad came straight over and kidnapped my boys in their pajamas with barefeet and took them to McDonalds for breakfast! I found a note on the counter... it read- "GONE!!!!! We are at MD's with grandma and grandpa" be back soon. love, the boys. My parents are pretty amazing huh? It was a dream come true for three little boys that's for sure! Later that afternoon we decided we had better celebrate the fourth somehow... so we went to a different (later) parade
and happy.
How did I get so lucky?






2 comments:
These pics are so cute. Your boys look like they're such good buddies.
We truly have the greatest spot there is, wish I could invite everyone. It seems the firework show is just for us. My gram lives right across the street from the stadium and we ALWAYS get a SPECTACULAR FIREWORK SHOW right over our heads... I LOVE THE 4th!
This country is a very special place. I'm glad you have those feelings and are helping your family to also realize what a great blessing we have to live here!!
Post a Comment