“As mothers in Israel, we are the Lord’s secret weapon. Our influence comes from a divine endowment that has been in place from the beginning. In the premortal world, when our Father described our role, I wonder if we didn’t stand in wide-eyed wonder that He would bless us with a sacred trust so central to His plan and that He would endow us with gifts so vital to the loving and leading of His children. I wonder if we shouted for joy at least in part because of the ennobling stature He gave us in His kingdom. The world won’t tell you that, but the Spirit will.” -Sheri L. Dew
A secret weapon... I like the sound of that!. I love the picture that I get in my head when I read the quote above. Think about it .... It is empowering and humbling and I am honored to have such a divine role, that of being a mother.
On Mother's day I woke to a clean house and a giant banner hung across the kitchen, wishing me a "happy mothers day!" Glen sneaked downstairs after we had gone to bed and worked into the wee hours of the morning, washing dishes, cleaning... and then painting and decorating the banner. I feel so bad that I didn't even get a picture of it... the words were painted in pink and green and there were pictures of flowers with stems all around the bottom. And the kitchen sparkled...Seriously, how did I ever get him? I was completely surprised and wow in love with his thoughtfulness....I am so lucky! Even though I'm sure he was exhausted, he let me sleep in and he got up early with Oliver and the boys. Later, just as I was coming downstairs Glen was starting to make breakfast and was a bit disappointed that he was too late to serve me breakfast in bed! I told him I'd take a rain check ;) Glen wrote me a love note full of compliments and romance. Evan and Eli were excited to give me their notes and cards and things that they had made for me. I love receiving cards from my boys-I love their handwriting, their simple expressions of love, their artwork and I can just imagine their little fingers curled around a crayon as they are deep in concentration thinking of me!
Pretty cute that Eli wrote that he would be my "slave" for the day- made me laugh!. He did a great job in doing whatever I asked with no complaining and he was eager to help and constantly asking what he could do for me! He made a few cards at school and at scouts during the week too...
Evan made a little coupon booklet for me that included coupons for one time doing the dishes, doing the laundry, a back massage, a pedicure plus 3 free clean up's of anything that I want- a mother's dream come true! Some help without him trying to get out of it plus a little TLC- it was perfect!
I already cashed in the back massage and it was great!
Evan also made sure to help his brothers with the card below from all three of them....
It was a beautiful sunny day on Mother's Day and the boys were so anxious to walk home from church. It is kind of a long walk from the church to our house and I have never let Gabe join the brigade of " walkers" but the sun was calling to him and to his brothers and I couldn't resist their pleadings and promises that they would carry him if he grew tired and their insistence that they would keep him safe. I knew that I could count on them so I told them to start heading for home and that I would pick Gabe up as I drove by. When I did drive by they waved me forward, smiling and giving a thumbs up that all was well... so reluctantly I headed home with an empty car (Glen had Oliver with him in his car...) After we had been home for some time I could not push thoughts of my boys away and I decided that I would get back in the car and go and check on them... once again I was waved away... this time I could see that something was slowing them down and they were sheepishly hiding it behind their backs. I headed for home now and once I got there Glen, Oliver and I sat in the sun on our front porch waiting for the other boys to get home. I could hear their chatter as they rounded the corner of our street and pretty soon... There they were, looking so handsome and full of responsibility. As they neared our house they each pulled a bouquet of dandelions and wild flowers out from behind their backs for me... they were so proud and my heart melted. Such little gentlemen!
"The responsibility mothers have today has never required more vigilance. More than at any time in the history of the world, we need mothers who know. Children are being born into a world where they “wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” ..."However, mothers need not fear. When mothers know who they are and who God is and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children.” Julie B. Beck
I am a mother and I do the best that I can.. When times get tough, when the weight of the world is bearing down, and being a mother feels overwhelming and hard-I am so grateful to know who I am and how special these boys are...that I have guidance from above. I am also so lucky because there is not a day that goes by that I do it alone. OK, Glen has been out of town before of course- but even then I am not alone... He helps and is concerned and deals with things that arise even if he's thousands of miles away. I think that to other people I probably seem like an OK mom, trying my best... you know? But I must confess, I am only a good mom because Glen is behind me, by my side... he is everywhere... doing and helping, stepping in, making arrangements, appointments, etc...supporting me one hundred percent. Usually the mother takes and deserves most of the credit for raising the children, sorry dads- it is true! But there is an acception and that is me... I am a better mom because our boys have the best Dad.
I love these boys of mine more than I ever thought possible... they are part of me. They are such a precious responsibility. I know who they are and what they can become. I am honored and blessed to be their mom.





4 comments:
oh em! this is such a beautiful tribute! you have darling boys!
and... you are a fabulous mom!
What a nice post! You are great Emily!! And, what cute boys!! You are so blessed. Great husband and great boys!!
Such a good Mom and I am so glad u snagged such an amazing hubby. We will definitely have to arrange a get together this summer for sure!
SO cute Em!! Ur boys are so sweet... and u look amazing... GORGEOUS as u usual!! Girl I miss u... GLAD U HAD AN AMAZING MOTHERS DAY!! U DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! UR SUCH AN AMAZING MOM!!!!!!!
Post a Comment