wash the pumpkins
paint the pumpkins
decorate the pumpkins!!!
We always look forward to the "pumpkin Walk" For those of you who have never been, you are missing out! It works something like this... There is a committee of several crafty, talented, creative people who do LOTS of work to pull this off. Each year they choose a theme and then people in the community sign up to decorate pumkins, squash, gourds... etc to be part of a scene that fits under the theme for the year. This year the theme was "calling all hero's" Lots of people come together to make this fun tradition happen and this year I was able to have a glimpse into what a big production it really is!! I remember back when the pumpkin walk was first started by a local family named the Beutler's. My grandparents new them and so we went to see their creations each year when I was little. They invited people to their farm where they did all the work and set up scenes of people and animals made out of pumpkins... well it became so well known, and such a big thing that it was too much for them to handle!! So they combined with North Logan City and I think several of their kids and grand kids are still heavily involved too (The Beutlers who started it have since passed away) but now they do it at a local park and lots more of the community is involved in helping with it! This year I got to know one of our neighbors, who is one of those crafty, talented, creative people on the committee.... I told her that I heard that she is involved with the pumpkin walk and how I have LOVED it for years! She said "do you wanna help with it?" of course I answered "YES!" and was excited to take part in such a neat Fall tradition!!! In years past I was always impressed with the scenes and the creativity but I never truly appreciated all the work that goes into not only doing a scene but ALL the other STUFF- pumpkins lit up everywhere, hay bales lining the path, fire pits all around the park, the dressed up witches, the cookies, the corn stalks etc.... It is a big deal and we had a blast decorating a few pumpkins for the Noah's Ark Scene, along with some of our other neighbors!!
For our Family Home Evening Activity we got started... and my boys were so excited to help and then to see the final "look" when it was all put together!! Evan and Eli are below by the sign that lists all of the AMAZING people that helped with the scene. I couldn't believe some of the animals... and the details... so CUTE! hippos, elephants, giraffe's, lions, tigers, monkeys, sheep, beaver, crocodiles, hedgehogs, mice, skunks, ladybugs, frogs, swans... I think that's all of them and then there was the back drop, and Noah and his wife and the grass and the lake, and I was just so in awe of these ladies that I got to know... WOW! So next time when you walk through the pumpkin Walk really try to soak in not just the cuteness and creativity.... but the skill and hard work of so many people who just do it for FUN and for everyone else to enjoy!!! Pretty impressive if you ask me!!
We went and walked through the scenes pretty much everyday that it was open!! We had to check on our animals! :) One night we went with my parents and my brother's family and then walked up to my mom's house after for hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls!! I love my family!!
Handsome Gabe all bundled up
Can't wait for next Year!!





8 comments:
Emily, that's awesome! I miss the pumpkin walk. How fun that you could be a part of it!
I love that walk so much, I am sad I didn't make it up there this year. How fun to have pumpkins in it, they are adorable!
Em they turned out so cute! I wish I could have seen them in person! Those piggies are perfect! What a great new tradition for your family - to be a part of the creation process!
I must have been super little, but I remember going to the Buetler's farm with all the cousins!
Fun traditions!
Emily! That is seriously amazing that you could help out with the pumpkin walk. What a fun thing for you and your family to do!
I kept hearing how great the Noah's Ark display was, but we never did make it to the pumpkin walk this year. I LOVE the cute little animals... GREAT JOB YOU GUYS!:)
Perfect job for my sister, the artist! Em - those pumpkins looked amazing!
Wow. Those pumkins turned out awesome! I read on someone else's blog that this was there favorite display! Good job!
Post a Comment