Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Grandma's funeral

Just thought I'd post a few pictures...

There is something so special about funerals, although they are sad and hard... They are good too because they provide closure and an opportunity to celebrate the life of the one who has passed on. But I think that the most significant thing about funerals... at the least the ones that I've been to.... is the overwhelming feeling of LOVE and support as family members come together! Funerals can strengthen families and testimonies! I am so grateful that my two sisters flew in from L.A. and New York on very short notice, to be here not only for the funeral services but mostly for the feelings that we were able to experience together... I am so glad that my brother lives here. I have always looked up to him but especially this past week I have been filled up with pride about the kind of guy my brother is!! you see, Steve is a nurse... He is the nursing director over the hospice division of Access Home Health Company... anyone who knows ANYTHING knows that Hospice nurses are seriously angels on earth... My grandma was in the care of Steve and his staff these past few weeks and each time I went in to visit and each time I saw a different family member EVERYONE was constantly talking about Steve and his tremendous compassion... His ability to be professional but so caring too! He made sure that my grandma lived her last days comfortably and dignified and he helped pull our family together... the thing is he didn't treat my grandma any different than all of the other patients that he cares for... He just treats everyone that way... with complete LOVE! I am so proud of him and his strength to all of us during this time!! I've had a few people think that I only have sisters, because we are so close and I am always talking about "my sisters"... it's that whole girl thing I guess?? and notice we took a picture of only us three girls????... I guess boys kind of get left out when it comes to sisters... at least poor Steve has Glen and my Dad to chill out with while we along with his wife all shop and giggle and do pedi's and all that GIRL stuff!!! Seriously he is the best brother EVER and I love him so much! I am so proud of who he is!
Just thought I'd dedicate this post to him, I guess :) oh, and just for the record I know that my blog has been a bit melancholy lately... and I've been REALLY sentimental... bear with me and keep in touch I have lots of FUN, LIGHTHEARTED summer events to catch up on that will be up shortly (????)... no more tears for awhile hopefully:)

Evan and Eli with my brother's two boys Mathew and Jeffery

Julie (left) and Sara (right) my sisters and best friends FOREVER!!

5 comments:

Amelia said...

I know the feelings you are going through and I too am grateful for eternal families. I'm also glad you posted a comment on my blog cuz I'm excited to get to know ya better too. HEy Friday I think we're going to getogether again so anyone that wants to finish their cards or other Enrichment projects. pass the word along 10:30 till were done at my house.

Sunny Jo said...

Oh Emily, I just read all your posts!! Your words are just so meaningful, I couln't help but get emotional when reading them!! You truly have a talent of making everyone feel what ur feeling, and its like we knew the person u are talking about as much as u know them(does that even make sense?)!! Our hearts and prayers are with you and your family, and your sisters family-in-law!!
I Love you girl, and miss you like CRAZY!! I hope u got my phone message, and hope to see you soon!!
By the way, LOVE ur haircut!! You look SO Beautiful!!:)

Brian Owens said...

I have just one brother too and I feel the same about him! And I just have to tell you how much my sister always loved your brother, Steve. Wendy is the same age as Steve and I remember her saying often what a great guy he was, even in high school. Families are the greatest.

Curtis Moser said...

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. You'll be in our prayers.

Laura said...

Emily, it sounds like your family has experienced quite the gammet of emotions lately. I'm sorry for you to lose your grandmother. My grandfather died last year, and even though it was very much time for him to go, it was difficult. I'm sorry to hear about Julie's mother-in-law as well. I hate it when things like that happen - it makes me want to cling to the people around me for dear life because it's so fragile I guess. On a brighter note - you Evans girls all look so beautiful. It's like you haven't aged at all.