Thursday, September 10, 2009

power naps

I can't believe it... I have a minute (hopefully more) to myself! After scribbling through their homework Evan and Eli raced away on their bikes heading off to the "water hole." When I heard that description I immediately said "no way" but then they further explained and I decided that a stream with 6 inch deep water couldn't be too harmless. Gabe is still taking his afternoon nap and I just placed my sleeping Ollie in the swing...I am nervous as I write because I have only minutes... Oliver does not sleep for very long during the day and it is hard! He gets fussy fussy fussy and oh so tired, I think for sure he'll sleep forever, he's so tired. So I rock him, I cuddle him, I lay him down and minutes later I hear him in his crib cooing? I go in and he gives me a beautiful grin? and he is happy?? power naps. I've heard the phrase but have never had a baby love them like he does. What am I to do? seriously, I have to fix this! He sleeps for a few minutes longer if I hold him or put him in the swing asleep... but I can't always do that... right?

Is this just a phase? Is it because he's the fourth child and there are too many distractions around? Maybe it's my turn to have a bad sleeper because all the others were such angels? Seriously what should I do?

... how am I suppose to get anything done??

well for now ... I DON'T because he's just too cute and I can't help but smile and coo back at him.

In just FOUR short months Oliver has gone from a helpless, wrinkly, tiny newborn to a real boy with his own little personality, expressions and opinions! Here's a little more about my power napper.

He studies his hands and has recently found his feet. He curls up like a
rollie pollie bug to get them.



He loves to suck on his fingers. His favorites are the index and middle fingers on either hand.



He drools and blows bubbles a lot! He squirms and arches his back when we change his diapers. If you get close he will grab your face and give wet kisses. He brings his hands together and is getting really good at holding toys.



When it's time for his bottle each night he recognizes it coming from a distance. He gets so excited and opens his mouth like a baby bird, cutest thing ever! He hates to stop in between nursing to burp. He howls and sobs and straightens out his body all stiff, so dramatic...then finally he burps and is immediately quiet as he turns his head and opens his mouth in the shape of an" o" ready for more. He cries big crocodile tears now, saddest thing ever! But when he laughs it's the sweetest sound in the world. (he laughs!) He slept better at night when he was new than he does now. He loves his big brothers and is always watching them with interest. He has a giant multi colored plush worm that he wrestles with and chews on. He rolls side to side with it grunting and groaning... totally a boy thing!




He is absolutely adorable, people wonder if he is a girl all the time and tell us that he's too cute to be a boy! His little head is perfect and round with blond hair filling in and just between you and me... I think he's going to have brown eyes like his mama... I need a brown eyed boy...
we shall see?



So after all of that perfectness .... how can one little sleeping problem matter?

my heart tells me it doesn't... my dishes, my laundry, my mind... tell me they will be always be here to nag me regardless

and as you know, I tend to follow my heart...

as if on cue there is my Ollie cooing for me to come to his rescue-


gotta go....

4 comments:

Brian Owens said...

Emily, he is SO darn cute! Ben was my terrible sleeper--he took naps in his swing til he was too big not to--I didn't know what else to do and it was the only place he would sleep during the day. Still, he is my one who needs 12 drinks, 22 hugs, and very few hours of sleep every night. But oh how I love him...

I Love Good Grub said...

Man, that Ollie is cute! I need to see him more often. Maybe you'll have more luck in a few months with his sleeping. For 6 months, Remy would take only 30 minute naps. On the dot, 30 minutes later she would be awake. For the last month-month and a half, she has finally learned how to nap! 2-3 naps per day that usually last at least an hour and sometimes 2. I hardly know what to do with the free time! Good luck with Oliver! I know how it is to have a baby that doesn't sleep during the day.

Shirlene said...

He is so cute. Just keep following your heart!! Enjoy that cute little boy. Sleeping will get better sometime. Holly was a hard one and look now, I don't have to worry about her anymore.

Colette said...

He is absolutely adorable!! He just keeps getting cuter and I'm not hearing all the cute sound effects :0) Your boys are beautiful! I know, I know, they are boys but they are beautiful!!