Monday, December 15, 2008

Summertime, even with Snow?...

Finally... it SNOWed this weekend!! and brrrr is it cold!! But that just means all the more reason to wear slippers and jammies, cuddle by the fireplace, and drink hot chocolate... some of my favorite Christmas traditions! I have lots of Fall catch up but as I was looking back at pictures I realized that I didn't post about one of my favorite things that we did this summer... so here's a bit of... WARM!!

My uncle Mike :) is responsible for a lot of the fun things that my extended family does. He has worked hard his whole life and has been very successful. He and his wife are the most generous people I know and very humble about it!! He often gives things, even trips to people telling them "it was a business trade" or that "he wouldn't use it anyway" or that it was ""a great deal"... but I think I have it all figured out... it does come out of his pocket, business trade or not and is truly just his way of being kind. He uses these little phrases to down play his giving because he doesn't want people to make a big deal about his generosity, but the thing about that is... I don't think that he always gets the credit or the thanks that he really deserves!! So here's a big fat "THANK YOU" to my rich uncle Mike for providing lots of fun times together, vacations, and memories for all of us!!

So... this big lead in is because... My uncle Mike made this "business trade" and he invited all of us crazy Murray extended family to stay for a week at this incredible place in Bear lake. It used to be a B&B but people now rent it for family reunions, work parties, etc... Anyway we had the whole place to ourselves for a week!!!!!... Imagine staying in a super nice hotel and having the entire place to yourselves!! It was incredible...private pool and hot tub, 38 rooms all with jetted tubs and fireplaces, a giant rec room in the basement with big screen TV and pool table, an enormous kitchen sitting area, a swing set, basketball hoop and grassy play yard outback
.... It was so fun!!
the main floor... entry, kitchen, dining, sitting room, bedrooms, patio to the pool etc...
the Rec room
one of the rooms downstairs had all these bunk beds and also some single ones for kids... there were cute hooks on the wall for hanging towels, a big bathroom just off of the room...all the cousins had a big sleep over party every night in here!!
The first day that we got there was my mom's Birthday so we had a little party!!
isn't she pretty?!? ...isn't even close to looking her age and she's fun to be with too!!

8 grandsons and 2 granddaughters
It was so nice to have a pool, hot tub and picnic area just out the back door. Most days the kids jumped in just after breakfast and we pretty much played at the pool all day. We'd put the babies down for naps in the afternoon, listening for them with monitors while we enjoyed the sun too!! We planned on going to the Lake everyday, but the whole place and especially the POOL were too nice to leave behind!!

Mathew and Evan
Julie, me, mom and Sara
Gabe taking a dip in the warm hot tub
My dad loves his crazy grandsons!
Sara holding Miles and Julie holding Ruby (two red headed babies, so cute!)
Cousins are the best!!
One day, after lunch some of the adults took the big kids to Minnetonka cave. We hadn't planned on it but had planned on HOT weather! So we packed accordingly... the temperature in the cave was... not so hot... wearing flip flops and shorts with a light jacket was the only option for my boys, although very cold they had a great time while Julie and I lounged by the pool as the babies slept.

killing some time while waiting for the next tour...
Brrrrr....
We planned several games and activities for the kids.... water bottle decorating, water balloon fights and kick ball on the big field....just to name a few

This luggage cart was our mode of transportation for carting all the little babies around ( and some big kids occasionally too)
You can't go to Bear Lake without stopping for a bite to eat (and more importantly, a raspberry shake) at famous La Beau's!!

Every night we started the fun with a little reward ceremony that included certificates and treats given for the best belly flop, the biggest night owl, the worst sunburn etc.... the kids loved it and it was a lot of fun to notice the little things
that everyone was doing!
Sarah, Claire and Tristin hanging out in pajamas
Jonah, Nathan and Evan playing card games
It was such a treat to have my grandma and grandpa join in on the fun! They stayed up late with us at night and enjoyed the pool and hot tub
as much as the rest of us, maybe more?! They are the greatest!
Here's my grandma in her nighty (sorry gram!) with Julie and Wyatt
we took an evening stroll down at the Lake, the sunset was beautiful

and before heading home we spent the day enjoying beautiful Bear Lake ! We had so much fun digging in the sand, picnicking on the beach and playing in the cool water!!
These are the only pictures that worked while we were at the lake... they are pretty white... I realized later that there was a water spot on my camera lens that was making everyone glow!!
oops!!...Here's handsome Eli...
Gabe loved the sand, playing in it and eating it too!! He especially loved the Lake and when the waves would give him a little push! Here is my cute beach baby...



We love going to Bear Lake but usually it is only for a day trip... and we always dread when it's time to pack up and head home! This year was so much fun... to stay for a week... filled with relaxation, fun, activities, and time spent together!! A Thank you to uncle Mike never feels like enough... but I hope someday we'll all be able to repay him somehow for his generosity....For now he'll have to settle for being... Everyone's FAVORITE!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Looks like a blast! I havent been to Bear Lake since I was a kid, now I want to go! Do you think Uncle Mike would mind one more niece?! You have such a great family, sooo jealous! Cant wait for another post from you about what kind of baby you are having!!! I am going to stay glued to the computer!! :)

Alleman Family said...

That looks like so much fun! I've checked your blog like 5 times today to see if you are going to post what you guys are having!! :) Also, I saw that Barbie has a blog but I don't have her email address to see if she'll invite me on. Do you have it? Just leave me a comment some time with it or let her know I'm interested! Thanks!

byebyedays said...

Oh Em, I just got into winter mode! What a FUN, AMAZING trip that had to be! Bear Lake holds such a special place in ALL of us LOCALS hearts that's for sure... I didn't go but once this last summer, it's just getting SO crowded... It's SAD!