The night before Thanksgiving My mom taught my boys and Ruby how to make Thanksgiving pies... I thought it would result in one big pie disaster but nothing that involves grandma is ever a disaster... lots of finger lickin', un-even crust pinching, and a half a cup of sugar dumped on top didn't phase her!! she's too patient! The pies miraculously turned out as delicious as usual and it made for some great memories with grandma too!...

We had a such a great Thanksgiving this year!! My mom hosted EVERYONE (38 people!!) at her house and it was beautiful and cozy... they all thought about reserving a church and having it there, and I know some people have no option and that families get really big... but I am so glad that it worked out this year to have it HOME and that my mom was so welcoming!! I remember growing up that Thanksgiving day always smelled good, My grandpa cooked the turkey outside on the grill... best turkey I've ever had... we look forward to it and thanksgiving without it leaves my mouth watering for it!!... it's a secret recipe and oh, so tasty!! Everyone always used their best china, there was tons of food, and I loved seeing my grandma's collection of Turkey shaped salt n' pepper shakers, pilgrims, candle holders and her fancy bowls. We went around the table and everyone took a turn naming something they were thankful for. We looked forward to performing in the family talent show after dinner and most importantly I remember that it was crowded... full of family...in a warm and cozy sort of way and there was always room for lots more at grandma's house!! I love the feelings of Thanksgiving!!Tables all set up and fancy... just waiting of a few last minute menu items...
Julie and I had lots of fun helping my mom get ready for the big day and tried to come up with some fun ways to celebrate our blessings! We cut out fall colored leaves and as people arrived we had them take a few and write down some of the things they are thankful for and then we used them as decoration. We also put questions about specific thankful things under chairs and if your chair had one on it, you had to stand and answer the question. It turned out to be a really fun way to turn the conversation to being all about blessings and Thankfulness!!Some of my favorite Ladies in the whole world are shown below and believe me, just getting them to all stand still and not fret about the camera angle was a chore!! These are my aunts, my mom in the middle and my grandma! They are the ladies responsible for the tight bond that we have as an extended family. I have so many fond memories and have learned so much by watching and interacting with each of them for practically my entire life... not many people are lucky enough to grow up surrounded by family, the ones who love you best! and I feel so blessed to have the relationship that I have with them!!
Whew!!! Okay so I am so far behind on posts, I haven't written about Eli's birthday, all the events leading up to Christmas and I am anxious to get to Christmas day...it was so fun!! So I decided that I am not going to write much- just a little blurb and let the pictures do the talking... but as you can see I have a serious problem and I just can't seem to do it!!... Ahhhhh! I swear in real life I do not talk this much (do I ?) I say it all the time, but seriously I am going to do a fast catch up so stay tuned!!
Oh, and one last picture of one of my biggest blessings in life... my husband!! I know it's chessy... but it's true!!





3 comments:
I love it! No matter how many times you tell me that you're going to do a short and sweet update, you never do!! But I am so glad, reading your detailed and descriptive posts either takes me right back to the good times, or makes me wish I had been there! Mom sure knows how to throw a thanksgiving, it was such a great day! What a blessing our family is! I am so glad that our kids will have the same kind of memories of Thanksgiving that we do!
SO cute!! I LOVE reading ur posts, don't ever cut short on us!!
Looks like u had a great Thanksgiving, nothing better than spending it with the ones u love!!
Love u!!
Emily you are the cutest thing ever...you never fail to make me smile and feel better about the world after reading one of your post's...thank you and let's lunch this week!
Post a Comment