Monday, January 19, 2009

My Aching Heart...


I was reading in parenting magazine awhile back and came across an article that told of a study done by a group of researchers on the correlation between heart burn and hair... sounds interesting huh? Well they found that women who complained of frequent heart burn during pregnancy had babies who were born with more hair...

"hmmmm" I thought.

I have had three babies and heart burn like you wouldn't believe with each of their pregnancies and they were all born with full heads of dark, soft as feather hair... "hmmmm... maybe that's why?"

Judging by my pain levels thanks to heart burn with this baby (sun up til sun down all night and meds don't even really cover it)... he's sure to come out with hair Joe Jonas would covet? (pardon the comparison, it's just that Eli totally envies his hair and I couldn't think of anybody else)

Then I though "So... not every pregnant lady out there gets heart burn??? What?"

that is so not fair! It's already bad enough that we are all different shapes and sizes (maybe I wouldn't think that was so bad if I were at my good size!) but what I don't agree with is this ... why can't all of us pregnant girls at least have the same experience... the same damage to our bodies, the same amount of weight gain, the same abundance of stretch marks, the same insane amount of roller coaster hormones... shouldn't it just be fair for this one thing?? I think so.... cuz I sure don't like to hear phrases like "you have stretch marks where? I didn't get any ANYWHERE" or "I only gained 11 pounds with my last baby...(accompanies by a smile is even worse) and then there's those who are running marathons or teaching step aerobics till the day they deliver?? Come on?? I know it's good that we are all made different blah. blah. blah. But I sure don't like skinny, fast walking, feeling good pregnant girls today...

that being said...

FINE!! of course I will take the nearly unbearable heart burn pain because.... there is nothing better than a soft head of hair to nuzzle on top of their warm little body... and bring on the stretch marks (if you can find a place)

in the end it's all worth it...

right? :)

9 comments:

jkhuber said...

You're funny, Em! I've also heard it said that sisters' pregnancies are similar. Not true! My sisters feel "yucky" for a few days while I throw up day and night for 20 weeks. Not fair! I hear ya. Sorry about the heart burn. I wish I knew how to take that away. :(

Anonymous said...

Oh Em, I hear you on the heartburn thing! Maybe it's genetic?! I had horrible heartburn when I was pregnant with Ruby, starting on day one right up until the minute I had her and then like a miracle it was gone - unfortunately she was pretty much BALD when she was born so I totally got screwed on that one! Along with the heartburn I had just about EVERY other negative side effect of pregnancy....headaches, nausea, varicose veins, stretch marks and all sorts of things too scary to mention, also I promise that people thought I was having twins! I am sure anyone who has ever been pregnant can relate - except for "those" girls who only gain 11 lbs!! Gotta love being preggers! Hang in there! My motto is the bigger the belly the cuter the baby!

Brian Owens said...

I love your sister's comment, bigger the belly the cuter the baby! I remember a lady telling me that she always came home in her jeans and would have to quit nursing because she would lose too much weight. I wanted to cry, laugh, smack her, all kinds of things. I agree with all you said, couldn't this one thing at least be fair?!!! But no, we get to "celebrate" our differences! With lemon bars, ice cream, and chocolate, right!?!!! It really is all worth it, even the 24/7 heartburn--I can SO relate!!! I couldn't drink water without having that lovely burn! Your little guy will get here, and all those things just don't matter anymore...

Katie Jane said...

Serious heartburn on this end...totally gorgeous Clairey Janer hair as the product. I am sad that the meds don't help at all. I will be praying for you. ;)

Julie said...

I loved this post!!!! I won't tell you that I don't get heart burn :) but then I've had some other crazy stuff that evens me out. Yeah I gained as much with premie Porter, who was a 26 week size, as someone else did full term, what's up with that? just think it's all down hill from here, you've passed the hump day!

Shirlene said...

Sorry you have heartburn. Being pregnant is no fun!! But, it really is all worth it. And, you have such cute babies!!

Heather said...

The feather hair is my favorite thing about new babies. Well, that and the smell, the intense holding on to your fingers, the grunts they make as they eat. . . pretty much all the stuff except crying, diapers and lack of sleep. It's going to be another fun adventure. The heartburn just prepares you a little better, I think.

Alleman Family said...

I totally agree with the heartburn thing.. I didn't have ANY with my two kiddos and they were both BALD!! :) hehehe

Toni said...

ha ha. You crack me up. Mostly because I can totally relate. The morning sickness, the emotional time bomb, prilosec from the moment I find out I am pregnant and lets not even start with the stretch marks. Rest assured you are not alone