Thursday, October 8, 2009

GAK

I used to be a really good mom...

When Evan and Eli were little I set up fisher price little people villages all over the front room and we PLAYED on the floor.... pretended, you know? Evan knew every nursery rhyme and could recite them when asked. Eli could recognize the letters in the alphabet when he was two years old and knew the pledge of allegiance too... they could both belt out songs -lots of songs with actions too, we molded play dough for hours together... they were so adorable and smart and I spent a lot of time talking, singing and reading to them.

That was then.

Now I feel SO busy....

Lately this has been Gabe's schedule. We wake up, get the boys off to school. Then I bundle he and Ollie up and head out for a walk, when we get home from walking around 10 AM I feed Oliver while Gabe plays by himself. After feeding Oliver I turn on the TV so that Gabe can watch a show while I shower and blow dry... Once I am done with all of that we either go run errands or I start on house work... where is the time for HIM? We get home or done cleaning, eat lunch and it's nap time for Gabe. I put him down for a nap, feed Oliver and get more things done. Pretty soon the boys get home from school, Gabe wakes, we do the after school stuff... homework, practice, scouts etc... Then what do you know, it's dinner time! I try to be prepared and put dinner together while Gabe is napping... I've found days are better when I do this.... but even with that trick It feels chaotic. Then after dinner we start the bedtime routine.... you get the idea... go go go and we haven't even started piano lessons yet!

I have been trying to figure out FOUR kids, as you know... it's a work in progress and I am one who struggles with being flexible, I like things planned but I am doing my best (most days) to juggle it all. But in the mean time... I am afraid I am no longer one of those "good mom's." Oh I love my kids and take care of them. I feed them and clothe them.... but poor Gabe... he learns all his smarts and tricks form TV I swear, because I do not spend quality time with him like I should.

How do you do it?

Well I decided it was time to turn over a new leaf (what does that mean, really?)
On Monday we rearranged the schedule... I didn't get a shower in, but I did play. I pulled out my old recipes for strange kid concoctions and Gabe and I made GAK. You mix cornstarch and water (that's all) and end up with this watery rubbery stuff that is so fun! We played with it for one hour and 17 minutes. I am not lying!
On Tuesday we went to the library for story time. Easy... we just showed up and he loved it! Usually he just tags along to all of his brothers things but it was so fun for him to have his own special thing. He picked out a mat to sit on, he listened to the nice lady read the book, shook his shakers during music time, watched a flannel board story and did the actions to "wheels on the bus" Watching the joy on his face melted me. He picked out two books to borrow from the library and we read them together when we got home

So... I've been feeling better about my mom skills this week. been so proud! I needed to be reminded how easy it is to play and laugh to teach and to pretend EVERYDAY.

But Then I watched the Duggars (18 kids and counting) on TV last night. I recorded it. They were celebrating 20 in 20 years! Renewing their vows yada yada... Seriously 18 kids, all from her body. Plus she's pregnant with #19!!!!!!!! number nineteen!!!!! Mrs. Duggar proceeded to go through and talk about each one of her 18 kids... she told all about their deliveries, and was very specific about happenings with each of them she described their personalities... I sat there in complete shock! How was it possible for her to remember?? ...I can barely keep the details straight about my FOUR boys.... Who is she?? 19 kids!!!!!!!!!? and they all seem to be nice, happy, well rounded people too!! What is she on?

Maybe I should contact her and get some tips?

As for now... I'm feeling pretty good about GAK!

how sad is that?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Emily - I am right with you! I remember taking Maddie to Toddler Time at the library EVERY week, making lady bug mobiles, playing barbies and little people - you get the picture. My boys have been a different story. I am glad that they have Matt - he does so good to play with them when he gets home - basketball, football, soccer - you get the picture. It is HARD work being a Mom and molding these little people. I wish I could balance things and be as good as Mom as you. You are fabulous and your boys are such great boys!!

Shirlene said...

I think you are a great mon!! You do lots with your kids. Remember you still have a baby and babies take lots of time. Just keep doing your best and that is wonderful!!! Love you guys!! and love your blog!!!

Becca and Kent said...

You are a wonderful mom-seriously, I'm always saying that if I can be as fun for my kids as you are for yours, I'll be happy. We do what we can-I have NO idea how the Duggars mom does it, except that she probably has the older kids raising the younger ones.
And good for you-making time for Gabe. I love reading your blog because it reminds of what is most important. Thanks!

Colette said...

Oh Emily, you are a WONDERFUL mom!! To every season....you do great. It is so hard to manage children and all the responsibilities, plus I think that we women put a lot of pressure on ourselves to do better and I can sense you like to have things planned and organized and when they aren't it is very hard for you, I can relate. Just keep doing your best. Besides I'll be Gabe LOVES being the little brother and tagging along with his big brothers, don't forget all that they are able to do with him too. As for Mrs. Duggar...I don't know what she is on or how she does it and still seems so sweet. I think her children do a lot of it!! If I had that many kids I'd be curled up in the fetal position sucking my thumb. HANG IN THERE you seem like a great mom!!

Jennie said...

you are such a good mom! matter of fact... you are one of the greatest examples i have seen of being a mom!

keep up the good work! i love ya! and so do your boys! :)

Jamie W. said...

What a fun mom!! I know how you feel, I'm still trying to get a handle on four kids. Love the Gak Idea.

Murray Ohana said...

Emily, You're awesome...you put me to shame, believe me. I think it's impossible to give your third and fourth children as much attention as your first no matter what. But they benefit in other ways too. Like learning, hopefully good stuff, from older siblings. (So I've heard) I'm just trying too and I think all of us have pangs of guilt at times.