Monday, October 26, 2009

The Treat

For awhile I tried to skip the treat part of Family Home Evening... you know trying to be more healthy. But I've learned that with boys anything that involves food makes it more fun for them to participate in... I am not against bribery.

and so... we usually have a Family night treat....after the lesson, of course.

At school Evan and Eli have been participating in "red ribbon week." During the week they take time to learn about drug and alcohol use. They learn about the dangers and health risks of taking drugs and they pledge to "just say no!" We decided to take advantage and reinforce saying no to drugs for family home evening. We had just recently talked about the word of wisdom so instead of focusing on that we talked about Lehi's dream (from the Book of Mormon) and the people in the great and spacious building... who call out and try to coax the people from holding to the iron rod. We talked about peer pressure and the importance of choosing the right being an example and staying on the path, holding the rod. We read from the book of Mormon about how the rod leads to the tree of life. We talked about the fruit from the tree of life and how it represents eternal life... and how that is our goal in this life... to return to our Father in Heaven and be with our families forever.

We had a great discussion and pledged to do our best to make good choices, hold to rod and seek after eternal life...the fruit... get it?.... FRUIT.... so here comes the fun part... for the treat we made carmel apples! I've never made them before but have been wanting to make them oh, forever! so this was the prefect excuse! They tasted very desirable ;) and were serisouly easy and such a fun activity for the boys!

Don't you just love it when the treat matches the lesson like that... and it all comes together? It makes me so happy inside...
oh, and so does my cute family





Mmmmmm



4 comments:

Brian Owens said...

Yay! for the great FHE that come together just like we hope! It helps us get through the more common crazy nights! :) Great idea, Emily!

Shirlene said...

Sounds like a fun FHE. The kids are so cute and the apples look delicious!

Colette said...

What a great lesson and those apples look delicious!!

Becca and Kent said...

I have always wanted to make carmel apples-maybe I'll have to give it a try one of these days!

And you can't skip out on FHE treat! I think that is against the unwritten Church code. :D