Thursday, May 3, 2012

Welcome Home and the first few weeks..


We were taken such good care of at the hospital! Simon passed all of his tests with flying colors and was even given the cutest baby in the nursery award! (wink, wink)


My mom, Julie and my dad took such good care of our boys!  My mom called and said she would have dinner for us when we got home if we wanted.  Of course we loved that idea and we decided it would be easiest to just eat dinner together at her house and then head to our house after.  Glen came to the hospital to get us Sunday afternoon and it was so surreal to leave with a baby in the backseat!



When we arrived at my parents house they had all decorated the porch to welcome us! They boys had gifts and cards for me and it was such a relaxing evening! 



 We ate a delicious meal my mom and Julie had prepared... she and Julie had all my boys- had to play with them and feed them and care for them and they still managed to go clean my house, decorate for our arrival, make dinner... still running on very little sleep!  I love them so much and am so grateful for all they did for us!



Right after we arrived my little cousins came running up through the field to my moms house and Eli and Evan were so proud to show off their new little brother... it was so cute to see all these boys excited and making such a big fuss over a baby! 
 They all washed their hands and lined up to hold him!



Welcome Home little Simon...










 Once we got home Sunday evening,  Eli said he didn't feel very good.... at first I wondered if he was just trying to get away with skipping school the next day so that he could be home and have more time to hold Simon but no... he was sick!  He had a fever and sore throat!  Monday morning Gabe and Oliver were both sick too! They all had fevers and cold symptoms and needed me a lot for a few days! Remember that horrible headache that I mentioned in my last post?... it still hadn't gone away and I had to continue taking major pain meds in order to be able to function... the meds would cover the headache for about 2 hours at a time but I could only take them every six hours! Coming home from the hospital with a new baby is hard enough but add 3 sick kids and a pounding headache not to mention all the new mom- postpartum stuff going on!....It was a rough week!  Julie left on Tuesday and I cried off and on all that day which was just the start of my breakdown! :)  I ended up going into my doctor at the end of the week frustrated to tears because of my headache, I was a basket case because I wasn't getting any sleep either!  Thank heaven for Glen who bless his heart was working his tail off at his new job and also trying to be supportive and helpful when he was home!  I never could have survived the week without my sweet mom and patient Dad!!! they pretty much took over... brought us dinner every night and took Gabe and Oliver everyday!  I never would have survived that first week without them! These beautiful flowers added some cheer too... the pink bunch from Glen and the red were sent from his company


  My headache was diagnosed as a severe tension headache and I was told I should see a chiropracter or massage therapist for treatment,!  In the meantime though, I also had high blood pressure and was all puffy and swollen- I worried my headache had something to do with that and after googleing it I was convinced I was going to have a stroke and die!  awesome! I just didn't feel right at all and I wondered if I were going nuts! Week two continued the same- except the kids were all finally feeling better.  I did feel a little better too after a few trips to the chiropracter- it was just a nightmare to get there on time with a tiny nursing baby and the mean office staff didn't help! (but that's another story) Somewhere in there I took Simon in for an appointment to his pediatrician and he was doing well I just feel bad because I was just going through the motions but it was a blur- I was totally in survival mode! I know this sound so dramatic but really it was hard!  I was still puffy and my blood pressure continued to be high.  I hardly took any pictures of our time with Simon and couldn't totally enjoy him or my other kids!

 Then I started to have this sharp pain in my calf...(what next?)  I kept ignoring it but was worried it might be a blood clot which is common after having a baby!  I tried to let it go but it hurt and I could barely walk!  After talking to the doctor I decided reluctantly that I better get it checked out- better to be safe than sorry right?... I wondered if I was crazy or becoming a hypochondriac... I am not usually that way, was it my hormones?... I have no idea what was going on with my body!  I went to the ER and got an ultrasound on my leg and - no blood clot- just a deep tissue bruise from who knows what?  Towards the end of week two I started to feel more like myself so I pulled it together and was finally able to really love on my sweet baby boy!



One of the days that my mom took Gabe and Oliver to her house I had some time where I was feeling ok and I had been dying to take Simon to meet my grandma... so we went for a little visit! O how I love her! My grandma always has a way of cheering me up-she is calm and she laughs and smiles and always has a twinkle in her eye! She reminds me in subtle ways what really matters in life!  She oohs and aahs over my babies and talks about all their tiny parts and about what a miracle babies are!  She is wise and I get lots of good advice from her life stories!  I am so glad that I have her here and that I get to share my life with her!  She makes me a better mom, a better person... I really treasure her and love her from the bottom of my heart!


  I did manage to take a few pictures those first few weeks... nothing too exciting but here they are


 Oliver was interested in Simon from the start but mostly he just wanted to get rid of him.  He asked me to put the baby back in my tummy almost everyday those first few weeks!  When that didn't work for him one day he said" Lets give baby Simon back to his mommy."  I asked "Who is Simon's mommy?" and Oliver answered "grandma".... I said "No, I am his mommy" and then Ollie's chin started to quiver and he said  "NO! Your MY mommy!" it nearly broke my heart! His little world had been invaded!... Those first few weeks were hard on Ollie too!  His interest in Simon has turned from getting rid of him to being completely obsessed and head over hills in love with him now... and I don't blame him a bit!



Despite the rough start, life with Simon has only gotten better... We are all SO in love!

 more details to come...
 



1 comment:

Shirlene said...

Little Simon is just darling. And, he looks just like your other sweet boys.
Sorry you had such a rough time for those couple of weeks. Take care and know that you are loved very much!