Simon Phillip
Born Saturday March 3rd 2012
3:17 AM
7 pounds 19 inches
Simon was born on Saturday March 3rd at 3:17 AM. He weighed 7 pounds and was 19 inches long. He has lots of long light brown hair, tiny toes, fingers and ears. His little features are perfect- he is adorable, soft as butter, wrinkly as a puppy, warm and pink, he smells like heaven. He is a dream come true!
The next day was Friday and I babysat Julie's girls in the afternoon at my mom's house while She and my mom ran some errands. the kids and I did some more "running" around the kitchen table and in and out of rooms but I didn't think it was doing anything so I gave up. a little while later I felt like maybe my water broke and I had a small leak... I wasn't sure and decided that if that were the case it was bound to happen more and I would just wait and see. My mom and Julie came home and asked how I was. I casually mentioned that I wondered if maybe my water had a small leak. They got all excited and told me I should go up to the hospital and have them check- but I was in denial and decided right then that I was not ready to have this baby! I down played it and told them that I would go if I started having contractions but it was probably just wishful thinking!
Glen came after work and we ate dinner at my mom's house... my back started to ache... but I told myself it was nothing. Usually the routine was that Glen would take the boys home to bed and I would stay and hang out with Julie and my mom til late... but that night I was just not feeling real well (hmmm?) and decided to head home. Once we got there, Glen started getting the boys ready for bed and told me to go soak in the bath. I got in and after a few minutes of relaxing I started having regular contractions and they quickly became very uncomfortable! There was not a lot of hot water because the boys had all showered and so I called out to Glen and when he came in I told him about my contractions being more regular and also that the water in the tub was cold and there was no hot water coming so I was just going to get out. he told me to stay in the tub and he would heat some water for me...(isn't he sweet) I didn't protest because I was starting to get nervous, my contractions were now painful and coming faster!
My mom and Julie had to run a late errand to Walmart and stopped by our house to drop off some things we had left at my mom's house earlier... they saw Glen heating water and joked with him that he was going to deliver my baby like they do on the movies- "heat some water, get some towels"... you know the line. They didn't know about my contractions at that point and they left. Glen kept pouring in pans full of hot water for me but finally after only about twenty minutes in the bath I could not take the pain anymore and I had to get out! Glen said we better go to the hospital but I told him I was sure the contractions would stop in a bit but asked him to start timing them just to see?! I am always reluctant to go to the hospital...NOT knowing what is to come and KNOWing what is to come always makes me nervous... not knowing If I will get an epidural in time, will it work? not knowing if there will be complications during delivery, not knowing EXACTLY what will happen. And on the other hand, knowing that I cannot wait to meet my tiny new baby and cuddle him, knowing that babies are wonderful but babies change things too... all of this goes through my head and makes me reluctant!
Glen started timing my contractions. They were every 2-3 minutes apart, they lasted a minute and they took my breath away! I was freaking out because I wasn't even ready to have a baby! I had nothing packed for the hospital, we didn't have a plan of what to do with the boys, I needed more time! I decided that we were just not going to do this!!... but Glen, knowing how fast I have babies was worried and insisted that we go to the hospital. We wanted my mom and Julie to be there for the delivery- that much we had planned, so we needed to take the boys to my mom's house... so that my Dad could be the babysitter while the boys and Julie's girls slept. Glen finally talked me into going to the hospital. I had to pack and shave my legs though! :) so I sent him to load our sleeping boys into the car and take them to grandma's. Meanwhile Glen had called my mom and she made up beds for the boys and was ready to help get them all tucked in at her house. I packed a few things when I wasn't doubled over hee-who-ing through contractions- it was seriously rough! Glen came home and loaded me into the car and we were off... I could barely walk and had to stop about 4 times in the parking lot just to breath through my contractions... it was the real deal!!
We checked in at the hospital at about 11:30 PM and got settled in a room- I was dilated to 6 and explained that with my past babies once I get to 7cm I usually deliver in about 15 minutes!! The nurses all teamed up and were bustling around getting the room ready
as I got my epidural placed, (Whew!- just in the nick of time!)
Here we are anticipating his arrival.....
Shortly thereafter my mom and Julie arrived and we waited... we talked and laughed about my numb legs and that I had to have them all keep adjusting and positioning them for me! My doctor was out of town but I knew the doctor on call and he came in and he was really nice! After about 45 minutes my legs really started to bug me and I started feeling nauseated... I was more numb then I had been with previous epidurals but I just felt uncomfortable and antsy and decided that maybe I needed to push! Sure enough, the nurse came in and said she could see my baby crowning. Then everyone really started bustling around!
The doctor came back in and although I had total confidence in him and he was really great I did miss my doctor and that he knows me so well! I pushed a few times more than usual (about five instead of two!) - the baby was posterior (face- up) so that explained my back pain too! They were concerned because the umbilical cord was wrapped around his little neck two times, luckily my labor was fast and his airway was not compromised -he arrived safely! It cannot be put into words how it feels to finally see and hold the baby that you have carried inside and dreamed about for months- it is incredible and such a special thing. He was perfect and warm and soft and I loved having him placed right up on my tummy where I could cuddle him and take in every tiny bit of him!
It was so special for Glen and I to have my mom and sister there with us.
Glen is so supportive and is the best baby coach! He is calm and easy going, attentive and best of all... he is always so excited about being a new Daddy!
My mom has been there to see all of my babies take their first breath and Julie was there when I had Evan (our first) but has lived to far away for the others so it meant the world that she could be here to share this with us and to meet Simon! I really didn't think I would have him before she left so I couldn't have been happier that he came when he did!
Glen is so supportive and is the best baby coach! He is calm and easy going, attentive and best of all... he is always so excited about being a new Daddy!
My mom has been there to see all of my babies take their first breath and Julie was there when I had Evan (our first) but has lived to far away for the others so it meant the world that she could be here to share this with us and to meet Simon! I really didn't think I would have him before she left so I couldn't have been happier that he came when he did!
After I had Simon my blood pressure dropped too quickly and they were worried about me losing too much blood... I am so grateful for modern medicine and realized that if I had not been in a hospital I might have been in real trouble. I am so lucky that I have healthy pregnancies, easy deliveries and always fast recoveries! I am so in love with our newest addition! babies are so precious and I can't wait to share what we've been loving about life with our Sweet Simon






No comments:
Post a Comment