Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My sweet Grandma

grandma and Gabe June 2007

"Little grandma Evans" is what Evan started calling grandma when he was about two years old and the nickname has stayed. It can be a bit confusing with so many grandparents around and this name seems to fit her just perfectly! Although she is little in size she is a GIANT of a lady... she has a GIANT heart... we've always known that but just recently her doctors became alarmed at the actual size of her heart... she has so many leaky valves and her heart has to work so much harder than a healthy heart which in turn has made it literally fill one half of her chest cavity!! We joked a bit when she told us this because like I said we've all always known that she has a GIANT Heart!!! the past couple of weeks though, grandma's heart started to get tired. When faced with the knowledge that her time remaining here would be coming to an end my grandma with a Giant heart showed nothing but faith, courage, strength and love. I am so grateful that I was able to spend several afternoon's these past few weeks at her home reminiscing, talking, being together and always leaving with a kiss and her reassuring me and the rest of her beloved family that everything was going to be ok. Towards the end although Grandma was very sleepy she made sure that we knew she appreciated and loved us, with her sweet smile and gentle squeezes to our hands as we held hers. I am so grateful for the tremendous influence my grandma has had in my life and I am so glad that my boys knew her and loved her! There have been so many special experiences during this time with my grandma
and I'll just share a couple.... Grandma and Evan on his baptism day December 2007

We stopped by her house Last Monday as a family for a short visit. Grandma was sitting in her rocking chair as my mom rubbed her feet with lotion. I wish I could describe the feeling of realizing that this would probably be the last time that my boys would see her... It was hard. They had made cards for her and were so concerned about her being sick. we visited for awhile and grandma, although short of breath and weak, gave my boys her undivided attention asking them about school and sports and friends... It was hard to leave. They hugged her extra tight and she made sure that they knew that she loves them. Gabe has only been to grandma's house a few times and anyone who knows him knows that he is not a fan of anybody other than his mom and dad. He has serious stranger anxiety!! I asked him to tell grandma bye bye hoping that maybe he'd wave to her... well he jogged right up to her, placed his hands on her knees and raised his little face for a kiss and then he lingered there for a minute just studying grandma... it was one of those moments that was just magical... I think his little spirit remembered her and wanted to show her! It was like two sweet spirits both so close to heaven reconnecting...it was very special! After we all got in the car to go home Eli quickly
unbuckled his seatbelt and said "wait" and he rushed back into grandma's house. He quickly came back and I asked him "what were you doing?" He said "I just wanted to give grandma one more hug and tell her in her ear that I love her"

My grandma passed away at her home with all of her children around her! My aunts sing like angels and in her final hours they held her and sang to her. When my dad called to tell us that she had passed I was overwhelmed with the knowledge of the gospel and what a blessing it was that she had returned home! we will miss her so much but thanks to the knowledge that we have because of our belief in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, the Savior and the plan of salvation we all know that she is in a better place... and with grandpa too!! I drove to her house that evening and as soon as I pulled up to her house I was filled with so much emotion... oh, how we will miss her! I am so grateful for those short hours after her passing that I was able to be there in her home I know she was looking down on us and that she will continue to watch over us... There was never a question... we all knew how she loved us!! That night when I got home as we knelt for family prayer Eli offered the sweetest prayer. He simply said "Please bless little grandma Evans that she will be happy in Heaven and please bless grandpa Evans that he will find her and that they can be together forever."
I'm sure that they had a sweet reunion and that she is happy!! oh, how I love my grandma... I already miss her but her legacy lives on in all of us who were lucky enough to know and love her! Until we meet again my sweet grandma....

Bertha Ivaloo Tolman Evans
1920 - 2008

LOGAN, Utah - Bertha Ivaloo Tolman Evans, 88, peacefully passed away Saturday, Sept. 27, 2008, in her home surrounded by her children.
Ivaloo was born on April 4, 1920, in Logan, Utah, on Easter Sunday, to Wallace and Elsa Tolman. She married Pershing Evans from Sunnyside, Utah, in the Mesa, Arizona, LDS Temple. She was preceded in death by her sweetheart, Pershing, in 2002.
Ivaloo is survived by seven children: Barry (Karen) Evans of Corinne, Utah; Michael (Linda) Evans of Logan, Utah; Kim (Karen) Evans of North Logan, Utah; Kathleen (Clair) Merrill of Smithfield, Utah; Christine (Dale) Merrill of Valdez, Alaska; David (Patty) Evans of Logan, Utah; and Jill (David) Watkins of Hyrum Utah. She is loved and cherished by 30 grandchildren and 67 great-grandchildren and her sisters, Blance Yonk, Eileen Olsen and Wallace Tolman.
Ivaloo was active in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served faithfully in many callings in the church. Her greatest joy was working with the little children in the primary. Ivaloo spent her entire life loving and raising her seven children and rejoicing in her posterity. She was truly an example of integrity, charity, virtue and faith. Her hands and heart have served not only her family but anyone who came into her presence, friends, neighbors, and cherished members of the Amovita Club. Her hugs, kisses and beautiful smile and sweet sense of humor will be greatly missed by all who came to know and love her. Thanks and gratitude is expressed by the family to the staff, social worker, nurses and CNA’S of Access Hospice who offered their love and compassion and countless hours of service for her comfort and peace in passing. Our family is truly blessed to have acquired their services. Please accept our heartfelt love and appreciation for all of you. In leau of flowers the family has requested a donation to the Access Hospice who cared for her in her last hours. Ivaloo passed quietly from this mortal life surrounded by her precious family. Funeral services will be held in the Logan 10th Ward chapel at 792 North 500 East, on Friday October 3, at 12:00 noon. There will be a viewing held prior to the services from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. for friends and family to honor her life. Funeral arrangements are under the direction of Allen-Hall Mortuary. Graveside services will follow in the Logan Cemetery. Condolences may be expressed to the family online at www.allenmortuaries.net

7 comments:

jkhuber said...

What a great tribute to your grandma! I'm sorry to hear of her passing, she sounds like such a neat lady. I hope your family is doing well.

Becca and Kent said...

What a sweet memorial for her! You are lucky to have boys who are so sensitive and loving, too!

Glen H said...

She was a pretty neat lady. I am lucky to have known her. What a great post about her from one of her most amazing grand daughters.

Shirlene said...

What a special tribute to your grandmother! I am sitting here crying as I feel the spirit you shared. We have so much to be grateful for! -- great families and the wonderful knowledge the Gospel gives to us. Thanks for sharing.

Korine said...

Emily! I am so sorry for your loss, it is hard to lose a grandparent you love so much. I went through it a couple of years ago with my amazing grandpa. I wish I had a blog then so I could share, I still should. You inspired me. I look through your posts every once in a while. I love that you are so happy, and your home is so beautiful. We miss you though. I'm sure you have heard that the neighborhood is changing again. So sad. Well we are still here! Forever, I'm sure :) Take care, I love hearing about how you are doing!

Brian Owens said...

Emily, I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose our grandparents. The Gospel does bring such peace and comfort. I feel like I knew your Grandma a bit because of your description and because I know Blanche Yonk. My dad has been her home teacher for years and our family is so fond of her--what a wonderful family! What a blessing your boys were able to know her.

RobinHvid said...

What a beautiful website dedicated to my Aunt Ivaloo. (I am Eileen's daughter Robin).