I was really not ready for Evan to go off to middle school last year. He is growing up and although I love his independence and who he is becoming. I am starting to realize now, more than ever, how fast the years go and how short the time is that he is all mine! Evan didn't need me one bit on his first day of middle school.
it's early... he's wishing he were still asleep!
he didn't even look back!
We sat out on the front porch waiting for Evan to walk home from the bus stop. I was all worked up when he came into view, trying to read his expression. I guess I thought he'd come home with horror stories of bullies, hazing, locker mishaps and tardies. But when he walked up he was calm and collected and smiling! what? I hesitantly asked him about his day...waiting for the awkward stories and for him to fall into my arms because he'd needed me all day- but he only shrugged and walked right past me as he said over his shoulder "It was fine mom" I pressed him for details and like only a boy can do he gave me none! nothing!! finally after more prodding and then bribing him with the candy note he told me "I love middle school mom, it was so fun!" I was shocked and a bit crushed he hadn't needed me but at the same instant I knew that his reply was just as it should be and in the end I was relieved and so happy for him! We both survived the first day of middle school- for me it was bit traumatic but for him it was no big deal!
He had a great year as a sixth grader! Evan got himself up every morning at 6:00 and showered, got dressed and then came upstairs and woke up Glen. they had breakfast and said prayers before Evan was off to the bus stop. I was in bed pregnant and sick, then pregnant and tired and finally up with a newborn all night and tired! I know Glen loved his mornings with Evan though and it was a good routine!
Evan had fun participating in inter murals during lunch and he also joined a few of the after school programs- I think his favorite was a toss up between ultimate frisbee and the badminton club! He set a goal at the beginning of the year to get all A's and he worked hard to accomplish that goal it helped that learning comes easy to him too!. He loved his P.E. class and Science and Math but his favorite teacher was Mrs. Murray who was his two hour block language arts teacher. He had her class all year. We could not have been more lucky that he got her for his teacher- she was an amazing teacher! She especially liked Evan and he really excelled because of her confidence in him! This is the letter she wrote to Evan inviting him to 'Breakfast of champions'
Reading it melted my heart and reminded me what a good kid I have! Breakfast of Champions is what the school does to honor the kids who have worked to get good grades. It was for all the kids in sixth grade who had maintained a 3.89 (one A-) or a 4.0 grade point average in at least 3 terms out of 4 and their parents are invited too. We all went early in the morning before school started. We ate "honor rolls" which were these cinnamon or berry scone things, they were served with chocolate milk or orange juice
The assistant superintendent was there and he spoke for a minute complimenting the kids who were there and encouraging them to set their goals high for getting a good education. they also had the top scholar from Sky View high school come. He talked about being well rounded and involved in many things, having good friends, being close to family and being dedicated. He said that those were the things that helped him to excel. He related well to the kids and gave a fun little analogy using a Frisbee since he was part of the ultimate Frisbee club at sky view. Anyway he was a cute kid and obviously very ambitious! He said he decided when he was young that he was going to do his best in school and he never wavered from that. It was a good thing for all of the kids to hear and see what opportunities are in store for them if they continue to work hard. After he spoke then they recognized each student and presented them with a medal and box of wheaties cereal (yuck!)
Evan with Mrs. Murray
Evan with some of his friends
Austin, Jarin, Evan , Matt, and Chad...they are all on the same soccer team!
We sure love our Evan and know he does have a bright future ahead! He will do amazing things!





1 comment:
We are so proud of that young man!! Great job Evan!!! Keep up the good work in the coming years and you will be able to go far and do great things!!!
Post a Comment