First...We thought it would be fun to invite our family over for a BBQ on the evening of the 4th of July...Then we decided we couldn't have a fourth of July party without fireworks so we told them to plan on staying late for that... and then we figured if everyone was going to stick around until dark for fireworks we might as well build a fire and have smores for dessert... and if we were going to have smores we might as well be camping, so we told everyone to bring their tents for a "camp out"...and you can't have a "camp out" without a pancake breakfast right?.... SO...(sounds a bit like the children's book If you give a moose a muffin right??) to make a long story short... we kept adding on to the festivities and it was just right! We had the best fourth of July ever!!
everyone brought delicious food which included BBQ ribs, homemade rolls, dutch oven potatoes, jello, pasta, and green salads, watermelon and homemade root beer!!
My "family" can be a bit confusing... If you already know the dynamics just skip over this next part, but for those of you who don't know... here goes...
My brother and his family live here. My sisters are both far far away :(
so when I say "Family" this is who I'm talking about...
My mom has 5 siblings (and her parents) who all live in the Logan area.(Cache Valley) My moms youngest brothers and their wives are within 5 years in age to Glen and I and four of my moms siblings (my aunts and uncles) have children (my cousins) who are as young as my boys... does that make sense?? So when we say we have lots of cousins here in Cache Valley that my boys love to play with... it's really my cousins, not theirs... Anyway... it's kind of confusing and different than most families and thats not even getting into my older cousins who are closer to my age and my dad's side of the family (he has seven siblings, and most of them live here in Cache valley too!) Don't worry there are not so many of us that we have accidently ( or intentionally) married each other or anything weird like that :)... although I did go on a date once with my second cousin and we didn't know it until half way through the date when we figured it out... creepy thing was he still tried to kiss me at the door step??? Hmm... but that's a whole different post :)... anyway I actually feel really lucky that we live so close to all of our extended family. Friends are wonderful but there is no one like family when it comes to love and example and friendship!! It's a blessing to have so many amazing people around who love my kids who I can learn from and count on anytime!! So... there is a bit of an explaination for those of you wondering who all of this "family" is that we hang out with, hope it helps a little....
so when I say "Family" this is who I'm talking about...
My mom has 5 siblings (and her parents) who all live in the Logan area.(Cache Valley) My moms youngest brothers and their wives are within 5 years in age to Glen and I and four of my moms siblings (my aunts and uncles) have children (my cousins) who are as young as my boys... does that make sense?? So when we say we have lots of cousins here in Cache Valley that my boys love to play with... it's really my cousins, not theirs... Anyway... it's kind of confusing and different than most families and thats not even getting into my older cousins who are closer to my age and my dad's side of the family (he has seven siblings, and most of them live here in Cache valley too!) Don't worry there are not so many of us that we have accidently ( or intentionally) married each other or anything weird like that :)... although I did go on a date once with my second cousin and we didn't know it until half way through the date when we figured it out... creepy thing was he still tried to kiss me at the door step??? Hmm... but that's a whole different post :)... anyway I actually feel really lucky that we live so close to all of our extended family. Friends are wonderful but there is no one like family when it comes to love and example and friendship!! It's a blessing to have so many amazing people around who love my kids who I can learn from and count on anytime!! So... there is a bit of an explaination for those of you wondering who all of this "family" is that we hang out with, hope it helps a little....
the family picnic...
our annual 4th of July flag cake
Eli and Evan...
(Gabe was not in the mood for pictures
as you can tell by the look on his face in the first photo at the top of this post!)
some of the kids decorating 4th of July cupcakes
left to right :Jeffrey, Tristin, Coleman, Nathan, Sadie, Aidan, Jonah, and Evan
before it got too dark we set up the tents in the backyard
The kids played night games!!
Then we all watched a GREAT fireworks show in the driveway.
my favorite are those UFO humming, jumping colorful ones! We even had a grand finale!! Thanks to Glen, my uncle Cory and Josh... the pyro's
Everyone got ready for bed and just as we were about to say "lights out" some of the kids needed a midnight snack!! Anyone who has ever stayed at our house or who has had us as guests knows that I am a sucker for kids who say "I'm hungry" before bedtime! They can't go to bed with an empty tummy, that's just mean... so yes, my kids have me figured out and pretty much every night (Glen has given up fighting it- love you baby!!) my boys have a big bowl of cereal, but only if they ate all of their dinner, that's the deal! anyway so they said "we're hungry" and here they are filling their little tummies and we all slept better!
those who didn't stay overnight came back around 8 AM and we had a smorgasbord
pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit and orange juice!
It was delicious and one of the best fourth of July celebrations ever! I hope everyone forgets about the 5 AM thing :) and plans to join us next year!!





15 comments:
I love it! Marathon partying is always the way to go. When camping breakfast was always my favorite...maybe not when I wake up at 5 AM but that is okay. You guys are too cute and I can't wait to play! When does Jules get into town?
What a fun 4th!! I love that idea. Too bad it's 110 degrees or more here in AZ so no camping for us. : ) But that just looks like too much fun. Love your new house. It's beautiful.
That sounds like the funnest 4th of July celebration ever! I wish I were your next door neighbor. You are such a FUN mom!
You have a beautiful family! I think we missed you guys at the Colorado reunion years ago (Tad is Glen's cousin). I read that you're a nurse.... how is nursing in Utah? We're considering moving someday and I just became an RN in January...
That's the way to do it! You do have a beautiful family... I can't believe how big your kids are. I love holidays, they're SO FUN!
I don't know who the above comment is from... this is the second comment on my blog and it sounds like I knew you growing up?? But I can't figure out who those initials belong to?? Who are you??:)
:0 Em, it's Jynj! Didn't you click on my name? It should take you right into my blog. How the heck are ya? ;)
Hi Jynjr!!!!! so great to hear from you!!!! When I clicked on your name it says profile not available... there is something that you have to change on your blog to make your profile available to other bloggers I think?!! anyway I would love to see your blog and keep in touch! I always think of my old friends and the good times we had and count myself very blessed to have grown up where I did and that I had good friends like you!! keep in touch!!! love ya!
Em, just go onto Laura's blog, then click on my WRONGLY SPELLED name!
Em are you kidding me?! You are the all-star summer party girl. I wish I lived in your barn... xoxo
Em are you kidding me?! You are the all-star summer party girl. I wish I lived in your barn... xoxo
Em are you kidding me?! You are the all-star summer party girl. I wish I lived in your barn... xoxo
so... i somehow just left six hundred of the same comments on here... sorry i'm blog retardo.
Post a Comment