Thursday, July 10, 2008

Family in town!!!

A few days after returning from our family reunion we had Glen's sisters Carrie and Debbie and their kids come to stay with us!! There really is nothing better than having cousins to play with for Evan and Eli (and me!) especially since we don't get to see these guys very often!! We were so excited to have them here. I love all of my sister in laws!! When everyone arrived we had a BBQ and then roasted marshmallows and smores in the backyard...


Eli likes his marshmallows "perfect" ..."golden with a few black spots" he is one of the most patient roasters I've ever met!

Cute Wesley with crumbs on his lips Mmmmmm!!!

Maddie and Evan...seriously inseperable!!(notice the hand hold:)) they are quite affectionate... still so innocent... I hope this friendship only strengthens as they grow older!

the floor of the basement was turned into one giant bed and all the kids crashed there each night, that is when they weren't talking, goofing, and giggling!! The next morning we headed to Willow Park/zoo where the kids played on the equipment for a bit and then we walked around and looked at the animals... mostly ducks... but also some bobcats, vultures, raccoons, peacocks, Wallaby's, fish, deer, and coyotes


Here they are again... Evan and Maddie!! She is a year older, they were both born in September so maybe that's the tie that binds?? They have similar personalities too and have been buddies since they were just little! Evan sure loves his cousin Maddie!!



I couldn't get Gabe to stop looking at the animals or to turn around for the picture! He was so excited over them!!!

Jake, Sam and Eli
I think these shots of Gabe are priceless! I love the look in his eyes...so curious and smart...just taking it all in. I love the one of him squatting down like he's not already on their level?? He did that in front of each enclosure... like a little perch, then he'd point his tiny finger and jabber about the animals. I love the age he is at right now... everything is a new adventure and he can't seem to get enough of this big world. There is nothing like seeing things through the eyes of a little one, it is so fun to take a glance and just notice the little things with him!!







What a beautiful boy...


I had to take a few pictures of the turtles... I LOVE turtles even if they are the #1 germ, salmonella, bacteria carrying animal there is.... (just ask my mom) :)
I think they're CUTE!!
They remind me of old people with their wrinkly necks, bald heads, and slow poke motions...
I mean absolutely no disrespect with this comparison!! I have thee biggest spot in my heart for old people thanks to my days working in the nursing home!! :)

Everyone started getting hungry and thirsty so we headed to McDonald's for some lunch and a little air conditioning too!!!

After lunch we went back to our house for some water fun in the backyard....

slippin' slide

Sprinklers under the trampoline
chillin'

Charly and Gabe... the two babies... full of mischief! Just look at her face...looks like trouble!!
and Gabe thinks he is all grown up sitting in his own chair... you can tell by the look on his face! and that slouch totally says "I'm sooooo cool"!!

Swimming
Before I got this pool Gabriel was terrified of water, I know... shocking because the other two are little fish and always have been. His fear of water started several months ago. He screamed when it was time for a bath, no matter how reassuring and calm I was with him he just wanted OUT as fast as possible! Most of the time he'd lock his knees and wouldn't even sit in the tub so we'd have to do a "splash bath" with him standing, wailing the entire time. I finally got to the bottom of when it all started. I guess one night it was Glen's turn to bath him. First he set Gabe in the tub, and then started the water... what?? The shower happened to be on and out came ice cold water!!!! Glen said Gabe was in shock and completely freaked out... since then he's been terrified!!! Can't say that I blame him... the poor thing!! He would even freak out if there was water spilled on the floor and his toes touched it or on the patio after spraying it off!!! Anyway we started bathing him in the kitchen sink because it is smaller and we hoped it felt more secure to him. He'd at least sit down but would not let go of our shirts... he slowly started relaxing but I thought for sure he'd never do a pool. He has never liked pools at hotels or the one at grandma's condo so I was a bit worried. I bought the pool anyway. We filled it with warm water and I set it out on the lawn. I didn't try to put him in and he was a little curious! At first he wandered over and put his hands in. after awhile he started splashing so I helped him step into it and he was fine!! He even sat down and then started going down the slide into the pool!! I couldn't believe it!! Now he loves to swim and bath and splash like the rest of em' YEAH!!!

Thirsty? I kept telling Gabe "no-no" but he was determined to get a drink from the pool. I hope he didn't suck up too many bugs, grass and chicken feathers :) YUCK!!



Our days with cousins here went by way to fast and it's sad to think that it will probably be Christmas next time we see them again!! We had such a great time with everyone here and just want to say thanks for coming and we miss you so much!!!

4 comments:

Shirlene said...

How fun! I loved the pictured of Evan and Eli with Gabe at the fence looing the other way. It is darling!! And, what cute kids!!

Anonymous said...

It is so fun when the cousins get together!! How great that they are all such cute friends even though you all live in different places! Gabe is having the time of his life this summer- so inquisitive about how everything works! I can't wait to see you and your sweet boys! I miss you soooo much! xoxo

byebyedays said...

HI EM!

I came across all my old gang's blogs today, and it's SO FUN! You look SO GREAT. Seeing you and Laura makes me miss you SO BAD! I'm happy to see you doing so well, and I hope I hear from you soon!

Tawnya said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! How cute is gabe?! I love him! You guys are having so much fun and just picked right up with friends and parties right after you got settled in! You are a champ..miss you!