Monday, March 23, 2009

five more minutes...

Gabe does this thing that I am completely in love with. He cocks his head to one side, almost touching his ear to his shoulder and simultaneously his eyebrows arch. Then he uses his highest voice and in the sweetest tone he makes a request. He is getting smarter by the second and definitely had us figured out a long time ago. I try to be good about keeping him on somewhat of a schedule, more for my benefit than his. :) He has always been such a happy little guy. BEST sleeper ever, easy going and like a little ray of sunshine! I usually warn him when it will be time to change course by giving him a five (or so) minute warning. I say "you may play for five more minutes and then it will be time to....." whatever is coming next. Being the mellow little angel that he is... he doesn't resist and is such an easy baby. UNTIL... a few months ago.... he started needing not only his binki and blankie at bedtime but also a train to go "nigh nigh with" I figured that couldn't hurt too much??? and so he's been sleeping with a train for awhile now. We read a few books at bedtime and "rock-a bye" while singing songs. Well here's where the getting smarter thing comes in. The past few weeks Gabe has been very choosey about what train he wants to sleep with... he picks one out but then just as I go to lay him in bed he needs "nutter train, mommy?" "green one, mommy" or "black engine, mommy" so cursing my soft heart I go off and retrieve the "nutter" train that he would rather have. He says "thant tu mommy" and rolls over, off to dreamland. "Not a big deal" I tell myself... "he IS such a good boy!" But that is not all, it's getting worse.... now he says "one moh book mommy?" "child of Gogg song again, mommy?" "I have drink o wader mommy?" and accompanied by all of these requests are my favorite head cocked to the side, raised eyebrows and angel voice... It. is. so. hard. not. to. give. in! Just last night when I went to scoop him up for bedtime he ran away and when I reminded him it was time for bed he did that thing... with his little head and face that I cant' resist but this time he also held up his hand, all five fingers extended and he said ever so sweetly "I pay five mo minutes... mommy?"

What am I going to do?

And yes, he really does say "mommy" at the end of every phrase (unless he's talking to Daddy, E-wah, (Evan) or Eli and then he just substitutes the name) which of course, only makes it that much cuter and meaningful and also that much harder not to give him WHATEVER he wants!!

Is it time for tough love? ... I am not so sure. With Evan my FIRST I read every book on parenting and wanted to do everything just right so that he'd be perfect!! I didn't have to do much because, as you know he came that way. :) When I had Eli things became more busy so a schedule and rules were just what we needed, and Eli ended up being perfect too. We waited so long for Gabriel and in that time my heart softened a lot and I also realized what a blessing little ones are and how fast the time flies... they are not little and angelic for very long!!

You know what?

to be totally honest I LOVE rules and a schedule and I expect a lot out of my kids, probably too much most of the time but I am not a big believer in tough love I much prefer ooey gooey love....

don't you?

4 comments:

Curtis Moser said...

You're such a pushover! Just like me!

And for the record, I don't dole out writing compliments to just anyone. Just look at how critical I am of Stephenie Meyer, and she's made millions! What I mean when I say you're a good writer is that (in my humble opinion), you have a natural ear for good dialogue, and easy description, and natural rhythm—in other words, you are talented! Good writing has nothing to do with good grammar, or good punctuation, or good spelling, or even a sprawling vocabulary. That's what an editor is for.

If you've ever wanted to write (and it's obvious by your blog that you enjoy it), you should really give it a try. I think you'd be surprised at how good you really are.

Anonymous said...

oh yes, love that sweet little boy up every minute...give him everything he wants too! He is too precious not to! It's not like he is trying to get away with murder.... all he wants is a "drink o wadder" a "nutter train" and "child of Gogg"!! I can just hear his little voice. He is the sweetest boy, and your parenting has obviously worked wonders on your other little boys so keep right on giving in!

Colette said...

He's just too cute not to give in to his every wish. Especially when he isn't throwing a temper tantrum but asking you in such a cute and sweet way. What a sweet boy! I'd enjoy every "five more minutes" you can with him.

Heather said...

That angel has your number! But what's it going to hurt? It certainly won't last for long . . . he sure sounds fun.