Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Leprechauns and Lucky Boys

Last year I shared some of our annual St. Patrick's Day Festivities and I was thinking about that and realized that this year wasn't any different... same traditions- we are all just a year older! Now that I've been doing this blog for awhile... the holidays become duplicates -just new photo's! How many times really, can I pay tribute to my amazing husband or write a birthday post to EVERYONE on their birthdays? How do I top the anniversary post that I wrote last year?? Not that it was perfect, but seriously?? So... right now I'm too tired to think of a way to shake things up a bit or write some creative description so I'll just go ahead and copy from my post last year! Whew, nice and easy! Here it is....
Leprechauns love treasures and gold! They frolic in the pots of gold at the end of the rainbow... When I was younger I used to imagine them using the rainbow as a slide and landing... buried in gold!! living the good life!! Well... a few years ago on St. Patrick's Day my friend Anne Parker's daughter told us that leprechauns came to their house and left a treasure! Evan was amazed and wondered why we didn't have leprechauns come to our house??? I wasn't sure how to answer him?? and so I asked Anne about it and this is the secret that she shared....

If you put a "treasure box" outside in the moonlight the night before St. Patrick's Day, Leprechauns will come. They will see your empty treasure box and fill it!! ... sometimes those little mischievous guys can't help but play a few "tricks" along the way!! So the secret is out and the word is spreading...

Every year since then we look forward to St. Patrick's day and our visit from the leprechaun's...

Making "treasure boxes."
The more green the better. Leprechaun's love green. they love rainbows too, of course and don't forget the shamrocks and gold!!
Eli's treasure box...
and here is Evan's
Gabe was a mess and went straight in the tub and then to bed before
I could snap a picture of him with his finished box.

after adding some glitter, the empty treasure boxes were placed out in the moonlight waiting for the little rascals to come. After a little debate the boys decided against trying to trap a Leprechaun this year... apparently one of Eli's friends actually broke a Leprechauns arm last year in an attempt to catch him?? and they didn't want that on their conscience I guess :)
Sure enough... the Leprechaun's came!! They left a Leprechaun's favorite cereal (lucky charms) and they couldn't resist playing a few tricks too
They turned our toilet water and our milk green, they put our shoes on the fireplace mantel, the kleenex in the fridge and the TV remotes in the oven. They turned our chairs upside down and toilet papered the boys room. Everywhere they went they left a trail of gold. Oh, and of course they also filled those empty treasure boxes...
Does the title say... lucky boys?
Although they are pretty lucky... I think I am the luckiest of all...
Because these little boys are MINE!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

such cute boys - seriously! Always love your fun traditions. It makes life fun and it is fun to have things to look forward to. I need to call you - Deb and I were wondering about coming and hanging with you guys for a couple of days. Hope all is well!

Shirlene said...

What fun traditions!! And, I think you are really lucky too! What a cute family your have. Love to you all!! It is so fun to read your blog!!

byebyedays said...

Very fun family activity. Your boys are so, so, SO cute!

Heather said...

So So SO CUTE! You are the BEST mom ever! I have been missing you, we had our RS Birthday Celebration last night, it made me think of our wedding reception "Garden Party" last year!! That was so much fun, even though it was a ton of work, it gave all of us the opportunity to get to know each other better... WE MISS YOU!!