Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Picnic

ahhhh... I am sitting outside right now with the warm SUN on my skin! It is suppose to be 70 degrees today and tomorrow (I won't even think about the expected snow on Monday) One of Gabe's favorite parts of the day is when we open the front door mid morning for our "weather check"... this morning felt different there was spring in the air! He was surprised when I squeeled "it's so warm!" as I squeezed him tight! He watched Thomas the Tank Engine while I hurried to get ready, anxious to be OUT! A perfect day for a picnic! As I pulled his short sleeve shirt on he tugged on the sleeves, trying to get them to reach his wrists.... "I cold mommy" "oh, no" I said "It's warm outside today." He didn't believe me and insisted that before going out he wear his jacket and his boots. I gave in about the boots, only because they are the one pair of shoes that fit him right now (need to do some spring shopping) but a jacket? "No way" I told him, "The sun will keep you warm!"
We headed outside with him wearing
his sun visor, shorts, short sleeves... and boots :)

I love the sounds of spring, water dripping and birds chirping. Everything seems to echo... the snow muffles noises and it's just too cold outside to notice any during winter... but with spring comes lots of sounds. I probably wouldn't have really noticed just how many, but that's what exploring toddlers do for you... they make the world more magical!! I guess you could say Gabriel is a bit of a worrier! He is terrified of the vacuum and blow dryer, seriously cries! He is afraid of the noise of tub water running, he worries about cars and trucks and covers his ears when we are in parking lots. He is terrified of remote control toys.... oh, and bugs! He sees little pieces of lint or string and worries that it's either a spider or a fly so he covers his ears and runs away... you get the idea, he is a nut! So as you can imagine the echoing sounds of spring time made him very nervous and only made me more aware of them too!! We heard lots of airplanes overhead, which he loves, so that's nice. After we'd been outside for awhile, he didn't jump every
time he heard a "birdie." He stopped and held perfectly still though every time there was a sound and said "oh, what's that?" "horsey mommy" or truck mommy " "donkey mommy" "hear a fly mommy" "motorcycle mommy" I kept saying
"yes that right Gabe it's just a _________" As he got more comfortable he played with his dump truck and dug a little bit in the flower beds while I just basked! I went in to make lunch and of course he was right on my heels, never letting me out of his sight. I finally got the picnic all ready and sat him at his little table. I told him I was going to go in for a minute just to grab a drink of (much needed) ice cold water, he said "ok mommy" I went in leaving the door open and a few minutes later he was bawling, yelling, crying... a combination of all three... Like Evan used to do when he'd see a dog... my heart leapt to my throat and I ran outside. He was sitting at his table with his hands over his face, knees pulled up. I asked frantically "what?" "what is it?" I checked him quick for blood. I glanced around looking for a bear... nothing! Then with big tears in his eyes he said
"fly on Gabe's hock gogg (hot dog) mommy" "Oh brother" I thought as I reassured him... it might be a long summer!! :)
I hope it gets here soon because today SUNSHINE is just what I needed, that and...
a little laugh because of this silly boy!

7 comments:

Brian Owens said...

You are going to have a very "entertaining" summer! Great way to look at it! :)

Shirlene said...

What a cutie!!

Toni said...

I was also soooooooooooo excited for the sun, I even busted out a pair of capris. He is so stinking sweet. I love his "hock gogg" (sometimes, don't you wish they would never grow up?)

Curtis Moser said...

You're such a natural writer! You should sit down and write a book, no kidding. You have a natural ear for description and simple sentence structure--and I'm not just saying this. You have talent, Em! Give it a shot!

byebyedays said...

I know how he feels, I HATE wasps. Jon could tell ya some scary moments he's had to go through, I've almost damaged him permanently freaking out over stupid wasps, and bees.:) How you liking the snow today?;)

Anonymous said...

Spring! Is it finally here? It is a bit of a roller coaster - warm and sunny one day and snowing the next....but those sunny days sure are great!! Gabe is so cute, I love that visor!

Colette said...

He's such a cute boy, love that he was crying over the fly. TOO CUTE!Emily I check in on your cute family periodically. If you'd like to check in on mine e-mail me at coldav1@msn.com and I'll send you an invite to my blog as it is private. I live in Rexburg, Idaho.