Monday, March 30, 2009

Baby Hungry

Guess who I devoured last week?

Elsa Ruth
... isn't she scrumptious?
My cute sister in law had to have her gall bladder removed just 10 weeks after having a baby via C-section... after being on bed rest for the last half of her pregnancy... Ya, it's been rough for she and her little family lately. I must say I was so excited when my brother called and told me about her surgery. Don't get me wrong, I felt awful for Edie and was definitely not excited for HER... only for myself... because that meant that I could have this little dolly to love on...

I also had her older brothers, all but Mathew. He wanted to hang out with his grandpa. Jeffery went to school with my boys and Ethan who is three years old and Gabriel were the best little play mates during the day! I pulled out some of my baby gear... bouncy seat, baby swing, bumbo chair... but she came with all the accessories, lots of PINK clothes, tiny socks, several styles of outfits, hair clips and bows, PINK blankets, and shoes, polka dot burp clothes... It was heaven! I felt just like a little girl playing dolls! I washed her angel face with a warm wash cloth and she leaned her little head back and let me scrub those puppy dog wrinkles in her neck... I couldn't keep myself from kissing them. I slathered her in baby lotion... I love that smell! I retrieved some of my hair product and played beauty salon. Her hair- I could not leave it alone... it curls when it's wet and fluffs up full of body as it dries... and it is like baby chick feathers... soft as clouds. We bonded quickly! All day she would "ooh" and "goo" at me and her smile... like every baby smile... priceless and heart melting... that was when she wasn't peaceful in dreamland... it was pure JOY! I think I kissed her a million times, at least. What is it about babies that makes you just want to eat them? Am I the only one who feels that way? Not in a cannibal sort of way but the way that you just can't get enough. Like eating a giant pink frosted Granny B cookie from 7-11 ... only better.


That evening I bathed her soft perfect self in the tub. My back was on fire, because carrying TWO babies around all day (remember I am 8 months pregnant!) and leaning over the side of the tub was taking it's toll but I just couldn't bear to make her get out... she loved the water! I finally wrapped her in a tiny hooded towel, warmed her up and slathered her again with the scrumptious lotion. I snapped up her jammies, and with a belly full of milk and a little rock-a bye.... oh, and lots more kisses and loves from auntie Em... she was ready for our sleepover! In the meantime, Glen was wrestling boys left and right, finding jammies, setting up beds, reading stories, and finally it was lights out! We both looked at each other and decided right then that we would probably not be having six children with one on the way :) anytime soon... or ever! All of the kids were so good and had lots of fun together... it was just a little more busy than usual :)

I wasn't exactly sure how the night would go, but I've had a newborn before so I figured it probably wouldn't be a night filled with only frequent bathroom breaks for me. But I was in love. and love makes EVERYTHING possible, right? We moved the cradle into our room and I realized that I had missed my little shadow Gabriel all day... I was busy and although he had fun it was different... pretty soon he won't be my baby. I decided that the next day I'd do better at spreading the love. I fought back the urge to let sweet Elsa sleep in my arms all night... I didn't want to put her down. She slept like an angel and was only up twice for bottles. She went right back to sleep after her belly was full and both times I didn't want to part with her warm little body.... so I rocked her awhile!

The next morning Gabe kept telling me to "put baby Elsie away now, mommy" as he pointed to the bouncy chair. He climbed up on my lap everytime I was holding her and was back as my shadow... guess he missed me too? That afternoon when her momma (who by the way, did great with the surgery) and daddy came to get her, I didn't want to give her back to them... I wanted to keep her... as my own baby doll.

I reminded myself that in a few weeks I'd be getting one of my own...He doesn't have many accessories... and maybe he won't have any hair, like his daddy... but I don't care! I am so in love with him already, I can't wait to finally hold him and love him and smother him with kisses...

I am so baby hungry!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh, I am hungry too! She is just delicious! I loved the way you described her soft little body! Thank you so much for posting these pics of sweet little Elsa. She has changed so much in the last month and she just keeps getting cuter! I am so glad she has an auntie that is close and can spoil her and give her all sorts of love!

Brian Owens said...

I have tears in my eyes! There in NOTHING in the world like a new little baby--so perfectly perfect! You describe how truly delicious they are in such a wonderful way! I think I get a little sad sometimes because my baby will be 1 in just a month and I know there are no more coming--can I borrow yours sometime? :) So excited for your little guy to get here!

Toni said...

She is so beautiful! You are one lucky Auntie to be able to smother that little babe with love for a day. I could almost smell her, she is so sweet. Adorable pics

I Love Good Grub said...

Elsa has changed a ton! She is darling. This post made me realize even more how lucky i am to be home with Remy. She is everything you just described and is at the cutest smiley cooey stage and i'm in heaven. really. can't wait to meet your little one on the way!

Korine said...

Seriously girl, you made me MORE baby hungry! That was so cute. So not only are you the perfect mother, you are the PERFECT AUNT!!!! Can I adopt you? I look up to you so much! You have such an amazing attitude. :)

Heather said...

You are the best! I could read your words all day long. I miss you, Em and I were just talking about you today. I wish to see you soon! xoxo

Sunny Jo said...

That was too sweet!! Ur the best Aunty ever!! She actually looks like little Gabe to me... she is adorable!!
I can't believe u only have a couple weeks left!! Hang in there girl!!

Becca and Kent said...

Oh I'm so baby hungry too! Now that it is finally more real to me that we're having a baby boy, I'm just DYING to meet him! Every time I see a baby my heart just melts and my arms ache to hold my own.

I like Gabe's comment about putting Elsie away so he could have you. Hopefully you don't have too much jealousy trouble. :D

Jamie W. said...

Okay I just devoured my baby girl. Love this post. Good thing I just had a baby or else I would totally be baby hungry. Okay so I'm a little baby hungry but aren't we all like all the time. : ) The smell of newborns are the greatest ever.