Friday, December 18, 2009

Ginger Bread Party

We invited our family over for dinner and gingerbread house decorating. Everyone brought parts of the dinner, delicious soups, breads, crackers and relish trays.

In years past I have put Glen in charge of making all the little houses out of graham crackers. I remember last year I even requested that he make chimney's for the roofs! Well the night before the party things were under control so I volunteered myself to do some of the building... After making just two houses in 45 minutes with all my fingers singed from the hot glue gun I could not believe it! I had no idea how hard the job was that I had been giving to Glen all these years! We continued to work together and finished all 18 houses by midnight. I really love this tradition and we both decided that in the end the building of the houses is worth it!

We had about every kind of candy you can imagine...




It is always fun to see each house come together, the kids have lots of fun being creative and tasting each treat.





Gabe was too little last year to really be excited about anything except eating candy but his year he loved his house and it was so fun to see him placing each piece and licking his little fingers in between. When I was younger I remember always feeling so proud of my house until I glanced over at my dad's creation... and then mine just didn't seem so great. My dad has an eye for art and is very creative. I was busy hosting and sort of forgot about Gabe and helping him. When I finally remembered him it was too late... Grandpa had already scooped him up onto his lap and was listening to all his bossing about which candy he wanted and where. It melts my heart every time I see my dad with my boys... he is so thoughtful and such a loving grandpa.




It ended up being such a fun night...Yes we will definitely keep this tradition going!

4 comments:

Shirlene said...

A great tradition!! Looks like everyone had a fun time.

Jennie said...

how fun!!! i love this idea!

you... are amazing!

i just had to say it.

jkhuber said...

I love that tradition! You are lucky to live close to family that you can share it with.

Sunny Jo said...

Looks like SO much fun!! Ur SO cute Em!!!
LOVE the spread!!