Sunday, December 6, 2009

Pumpkin Walk

FINALLY.... I am working on writing about Halloween. You may not care, but this is my record and I have to have this years festivities included, so here is a beginning and hopefully the rest will follow tomorrow!

My amazing, talented, creative friend Sandy let us help with the pumpkin walk again this year. I wrote about how much I love this event last year here ( a bit of an explanation) and so of course we were excited to have the opportunity to be a part of it again. This year the theme was "a word from our sponsors" So basically the scenes were supposed to be commercials and advertisements. Sandy's scenes are usually a huge hit from year to year because her big goal is to use pumpkins or produce to make EVERYTHING in the scene, unlike many of the others that only stuff bodies and have pumpkin heads. As you can imagine, doing this takes lots more creativity and skill. We had so much fun doing the scene with a bunch of other families... brainstorming, planning, working, and creating. My boys love helping and have fun seeing "their" pumpkins go through the process and become some pretty amazing things....




The commercial Sandy thought of was the jolly green giant, you know... "ho ho ho- Green Giant." We all decided to make giant vegetables. and we just kept adding to that and I don't like to brag...especially because we had such a small part... but really, isn't it cute?


Our green giant was a bit on the thin side but I don't think anyone noticed because the other stuff was so cute! Glen had some connections with a local print shop and got the labels for the cans of food donated for us. We were in charge of making the carrots, (pumpkins cut in half) the green beans (zucchini) the wooden garden signs and helping to put it all together...
My mom watched Gabe and Oliver a few afternoons so that I could meet all the girls for the last minute touch ups and set up.
(look at the corn, so cute...it was everyone's favorite. It is a giant banana squash with lots of little tiny pumpkins attached to it)


Sandy hollowed out a big squash for the pea pods... the peas are my favorite

lil' sprout
Sandy wanted to do a second scene this year and we thought M&M's would be fun (and easy) we found out last minute that there were a few other people who thought the same thing and that there were some other M&M scenes so Sandy decided to try a new thing and do a where's waldo type thing with our M&M's. At the entrance of the walk There was this big package of M&M's
(Sandy free handed it in like five minutes (seriously?)) we all helped to fill in the paint colors and The kids came up after school and helped place an M&M in each scene for people to try to find as they walked through and looked at the scenes. I was something new and I think it was a fun addition to the pumpkin walk this year.



We were up at the park several days before the walk started, and we went almost every evening that it was open but I only took my camera ONE time... The first day that it opened me and Oliver met my mom and dad and my grandparents, it was fun to walk around with them and enjoy the finished product!

here's Oliver with my grandpa...

Not the greatest pictures and sorry only our scenes are shown...a few of my favorite scenes were the Serta mattress sheep, bandaids, and Eggo waffles. If you haven't ever been, I promise you are missing out and it's worth a bit of a drive if your out of town! This is one of the biggest events in Cache Valley and it's pretty amazing!
We are looking forward to next year and hope we get to be a part of it again.

2 comments:

Colette said...

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!! How neat, what a fun thing to do, they all look so good.

Jennie said...

oh. my. gosh!!! these were my 2 favorite scenes!!!!

i LOVED the m&m's! they were my fav!!! but the veggies were amazing! how cool you got to help!!! :)