Thursday, February 26, 2009

All you need is LOVE...

Every year on February first we start our "love traditions!" Usually we have metal mailboxes that everyone decorates. One year Glen even made wooden posts and we placed the mailboxes outside everyone's bedroom doors. That was fun!
We set mailboxes out for the purpose of exchanging love notes, treats, trinkets, letters etc... because it's such a fun way to feel the love leading up to Valentines day! If you leave something in the mailbox, you raise the little flag on the side etc... I love it! Well this year we didn't get started on the first of February and when I went to buy the little metal mailboxes they were SOLD OUT! So we used "love buckets" instead

Valentine's day to the rescue...
It seems like Valentine's day hits at just the right time... holidays are over, not a lot to look forward to for awhile, winter is long, we are all cooped up in the house sick of each other and then suddenly it's February... LOVE MONTH and we need it!! We started by talking about Valentine's day, how important it is to show love and especially to TELL love... the boys are always excited about love month and Glen and I like to do special little things for them too. It really takes the blues and day to day monotony away ....for at least a few days anyway!! :)I set up this "love bucket station" It had all the supplies needed for love notes... stickers, markers, paper, tape and a few treats too! Here's Eli busy in love...
My favorite note from him said " skies are red, skies are blue... and I don't know about you"
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Hmmmm??
Evan and Eli spent lots of time cutting out hearts and Glen was challenged with patience during our "loving" due to all the "paper pieces everywhere" :) Gabe scribbled a note everyday for his brothers but didn't want to leave a treat taped to their notes... he couldn't figure out why he couldn't just eat them!! we posted our love notes for everyone to see and be reminded all month of our... LOVE One reason that we didn't get started on February first with this little tradition is because I was busy crafting these little Valentines....
I used old wood scraps and they were pretty "distressed" After lots of sanding and several coats of paint they looked okay. I modge podeged paper onto the blocks then placed vinyl letters on them. I made some sets for my mom and my aunt to give to their VT's, I mailed some to my sisters and delivered more to some of the girls I have sort of gotten to know around here. It was a big project but fairly easy and gave me something fun to do :)
... you know the saying.... "all you need is love"??... well all I can say is that we needed it...
we felt it more.... and it was nice!

and just in case you were wondering...
I am totally in LOVE with these wrestling boys

1 comment:

Shirlene said...

Cute projects! Fun traditions!! and I loved the "people pile." Love you all.