Thursday, February 26, 2009

THIS....
candy jar
reminded me of something that my friend Sunny Jo would use for decorating. I'm sure her's would be a hundred times cuter somehow, just because everything she does IS. I love filling glass jars with stuff and she uses candy a lot and I just figured
Valentine's day = conversation hearts.
Well I knew if I had this candy jar sitting around in full view that Gabriel was going to drive me crazy asking for some EVERY minute. So I thought up a little scheme... I figured three bags of conversation hearts would be plenty and they were even on sale... cheap decor! I dumped them into my jar and was so disappointed... it was barely 1/4 of the way full! Well Gabe saw me dumping and kept saying "want one, mommy" (how in the world did he know??... I swear my kids have a six sense for candy) Well here's where my scheme came in. I told him that these little pastel things were just decorations and not for him. Well he knows what decorations are... ALL the things around the house that he is not allowed to touch! So he just continued to watch me fiddle with the jar and... it was working!!! Well I had Glen pick up more packages of conversation hearts on his way home from work and that evening as I was dumping more of them into my jar, I somehow poured them wrong and little candy hearts scattered all over the kitchen floor. I couldn't move fast enough to gather them all up before Gabe came to investigate! Sure enough he grabbed one and stuffed it in his mouth and his eye's lit up! shoot!!!!
Well the funny thing is that since then Gabe calls conversation hearts... all candy for that matter "det-o-rayton hawts" (decoration hearts). what a silly little guy! So my scheme didn't work after all and Gabe ate a few too many conversation hearts this month. Each time I would pull one from the jar for him I'd read what it said. some of the things are just weird so I started to tell him "this one says I love you!" so now if we hand him a conversation heart and ask him "what does it say?" he turns it in his little fingers, and studies it... like he's reading, then he answers "I wuv you!" before he pops it in his mouth and runs off.
He completely melts my heart...

2 comments:

Shirlene said...

Cute decorations!! You always do such fun things. It is so fun to hear about Gabe. He is a cutie!!

Sunny Jo said...

I didn't see this post before...SO cute!! And to correct you...I got and still get all my decor and cute ideas from you!! U seriously have the best ideas...for any and every occasion!!
I love all the stories about Gabe!! He is such funny little guy...what a cutie!!