Monday, February 9, 2009

Small Infirmary

I decided that I wasn't going to say anything about Evan's little accident... but once I told my mom I figured everyone would find out anyway:) I don't mean that in a bad way... she's just close with her family and loves to share exciting stories! My mom and all of her sisters have this "silent pact" where if anything happens in their life my grandma (their mom) is the last to find out... if she finds out at all! She is never told about sickness or accidents or life changing decisions etc... They don't tell her because she tends to "worry"or "overreact" well my mom is heading down that same path (like mother, like daughter) She doesn't even have to say anything and I know what she is thinking..."how could you have let that happen, didn't you hear about that accident on the news???? The crazy thing is that when we were kids we went snowmobiling, got thrown from motorcycles, rode bikes with no shoes, wrestled, jumped out of swings, swam without life jackets etc... I guess maybe it's one of those live and learn things? who knows? anyway... with the house full of boys I'm going to have... accidents are bound to come along, that's just part of being a kid and a BOY! Anyway with all this intro I'm sure your dying to know WHAT HAPPENED?

Well it was not that big of a deal luckily... Our neighbor across the street has four wheelers and snowmobiles. He is always out with his kids pulling them behind one or the other out in the field next to our house. They always invite Evan and Eli to join in on the fun and they have been doing it all winter! Saturday Evan flew off the tube being pulled by the snowmobile and hit the snow, or I guess I should say ice... pretty hard on his little head and lost several layers of skin... think giant rug burn. Well he came home crying, although trying to be tough. He said he couldn't remember what happened (red flag) felt a little dizzy and had a headache... I am not an over- reactor (inherited this trait from my mom) plus in my years of nursing I learned to stay calm... for the sake of the patient. I told Evan he was going to be just fine! I cleaned him up and put a movie on for him hoping he'd just relax... since looking in the mirror, he had sort of freaked out! Meanwhile our neighbor came to check on Evan and said he felt really bad. of course it wasn't his fault and what do you do? Stuff happens. Well a little later Evan said his stomach didn't feel well. Gabe has had a little bug this week, so we were already in "sick mode"I figured now it was Evan's turn... but I was still a little worried about his head... Well he threw up and was still complaining about feeling lightheaded. I decided to google before I made any big decision. Sure enough, reading on google made it pretty clear that most likely Evan had a concussion, just what I suspected. I knew that we needed to watch him carefully but I couldn't decide if we should take him in for a CAT scan. Glen phoned the local doctor (poor guy) He's in our ward and just happens to be an ER doc. I know he does lots of neighbor/ward consulting, which is so nice. He advertises himself and says please don't ever hesitate to call with questions what an incredible guy! anyway he gave us the run down of a concussion and what we needed to do and watch for and that's when my calm walls came down. I suddenly realized how lucky we were that Evan was even ok! ANYTHING could have happened, what if he would have broken his neck... my thoughts just kept spinning and I realized that everyday lots of things can happen and that there are more safety precautions I should be taking and basically... MY MOM WAS RIGHT! of course! Learn from the past and other people's mistakes too... It's just... where do you draw the line between living life, not holding back and being too careful?... I guess by being more smart and safe while not holding back on fun and living, right?....

Well... We woke Evan up every few hours through the night, which wasn't a big deal because Gabe took a turn for the worse and was up a lot too! Needless to say we vegged all day Sunday... Gabe went through 5 outfits. Don't ask me how, because he really hasn't eaten for like a week?? He went from throwing up the first day to diarrhea the rest of the week which escalated yesterday... and today we are back to throwing up. He cried this morning for cereal. I figured the poor kid has got to be hungry and is finally over the bug... a little dry cereal should be fine... but NO! I think his tummy just felt weird and he thought it was hunger when really... it was that darn bug, still here. So we are back at it! Evan went to school with a note saying that he is to sit still, no recess, jumping, running etc... and the promise that I'll be sitting by the phone (in between disinfecting my house and loads of laundry) in case he calls and wants to come home. Glen went out the door for work with a box of kleenex, a water bottle and throat lozenges... I am thinking I'm bound to have something.... lets say, no later than Wednesday!? which just happens to be the day my little sister Julie is coming into town from New York followed by my other sister Sara and her family... GREAT!! think positive, think positive.... wash hands constantly, drink plenty of water and I'll be fine right? We shall see... wish me luck, running this small infirmary!

note to self... call and cancel (much needed) lunch date with friends for today...(sigh)

5 comments:

jkhuber said...

Oh, I'm sorry you guys aren't feeling so great. I hope Evan's head heals up soon and he can be back to his normal self. It's sad and scary to hear things like that.

Brian Owens said...

I had a concussion when I was little--got hit in the head with a bat. Life happens and we are just glad things work out as well as they do the majority of the time. Some would say I never quite recovered, but I am sure Evan will be fine! :)

Sunny Jo said...

Poor guy...Poor Family!! Im sorry that ur all sick!!
I hope Evan recovers soon too, that is such a scary thing to happen to a little boy!!
LOVE all your new posts...U are being SO great about keeping up with it!! Sorry that I'm being such a slacker!! Hopefully there will be some good news on their soon(hint hint), so keep watching for it!!! Love u!!

Toni said...

Man, that just makes you sit and think, anything can happen. Sorry that you had the bug and a concussion scare. That is a lot of worry and no sleep for a mom.

Shirlene said...

So sorry to hear about Evan and the other sickness. Hope people are feeling better. You are a great mom and nurse!!