I forgot how fun it is to have a curious toddler around a new baby.
On Sunday night what was left of Oliver's umbilical cord fell off. During the night he wet on his jammies (I keep forgetting to buy those" pee pee tepee" things... ) and when I took the wet jammies off, the cord was gone... since this was during the wee hours of the morning and my mind was in a fog I didn't do a search for the cord. I figured it was in the jammies and I'd throw it out the next day. So, that morning I was getting ready in my bathroom, Oliver was in his bouncy chair and Gabe was watching a movie on my bed. I glanced out into my room at Oliver, and Gabe was at his side trying to put something into Oliver's hand. I just watched for a minute making sure that Gabe was being gentle... then I said "what are you doing Gabe?" He came over to me and handed me the umbilical cord as he proudly announced
"I found his penis mom... he wants it?" I was surprised and had to make sure that what I heard was really what he said so I incredulously asked "what?" and sure enough... that's what he said! I couldn't help but laugh. Gabe has been very curious about Oliver's "belly button owie" I thought I explained it well enough... but I guess he saw things differently during Oliver's diaper changes... or something?? Hopefully that fact that he saw me throw it into the garbage,
does not traumatize him for life :)
On Sunday night what was left of Oliver's umbilical cord fell off. During the night he wet on his jammies (I keep forgetting to buy those" pee pee tepee" things... ) and when I took the wet jammies off, the cord was gone... since this was during the wee hours of the morning and my mind was in a fog I didn't do a search for the cord. I figured it was in the jammies and I'd throw it out the next day. So, that morning I was getting ready in my bathroom, Oliver was in his bouncy chair and Gabe was watching a movie on my bed. I glanced out into my room at Oliver, and Gabe was at his side trying to put something into Oliver's hand. I just watched for a minute making sure that Gabe was being gentle... then I said "what are you doing Gabe?" He came over to me and handed me the umbilical cord as he proudly announced
"I found his penis mom... he wants it?" I was surprised and had to make sure that what I heard was really what he said so I incredulously asked "what?" and sure enough... that's what he said! I couldn't help but laugh. Gabe has been very curious about Oliver's "belly button owie" I thought I explained it well enough... but I guess he saw things differently during Oliver's diaper changes... or something?? Hopefully that fact that he saw me throw it into the garbage,
does not traumatize him for life :)
oh, and sorry if I offended or shocked anyone with the P word... I am a nurse and a product of the nineties when the big rage of parenting was about using and teaching children correct terminology for their body parts yada yada ...
Well we do.
Well we do.
and it is a more common word around here than you'd think...
Can't help it, with all these boys!!!
As you know, once the cord heals completely newborns are ready for their first real bath. YEAH!! And boy, was Gabe a big helper!






Gabe is also very curious about nursing of course, who isn't?... It is sort of a strange thing (sorry all you la leche fans...) ...If I think about it too long I start to get weirded out!
So he makes comments all the time about "my hills" that's what they are to his trucks as he drives them up and down my body... so whatever! Just yesterday... it was an odd day... He was playing with some gummy bears. He makes them talk... they say "don't eat me" he hides them and tells them he's going to get them... etc... the kid is neglected I guess? :) anyway I looked over at him and he had the gummy bear pinched between his little fingers held up to his chest. I said "what are you doing Gabe" he replied "I feeding my gummy bear" I said "what are you feeding him?" "Chocolate milk mommy... I got chocolate milk in here" he said pointing to his chest. "It's not for ah-va-ver mommy... just my gummy bears " he concluded as he shook his head side to side and looked at me with his cheek tilted to his shoulder. what a cute boy! At least he is showing more interest though, right... that's a good way to look at... I'm sure these are the first of many funny stories ahead for us!
Here's our Oliver James
2 weeks old


Gabe is also very curious about nursing of course, who isn't?... It is sort of a strange thing (sorry all you la leche fans...) ...If I think about it too long I start to get weirded out!
So he makes comments all the time about "my hills" that's what they are to his trucks as he drives them up and down my body... so whatever! Just yesterday... it was an odd day... He was playing with some gummy bears. He makes them talk... they say "don't eat me" he hides them and tells them he's going to get them... etc... the kid is neglected I guess? :) anyway I looked over at him and he had the gummy bear pinched between his little fingers held up to his chest. I said "what are you doing Gabe" he replied "I feeding my gummy bear" I said "what are you feeding him?" "Chocolate milk mommy... I got chocolate milk in here" he said pointing to his chest. "It's not for ah-va-ver mommy... just my gummy bears " he concluded as he shook his head side to side and looked at me with his cheek tilted to his shoulder. what a cute boy! At least he is showing more interest though, right... that's a good way to look at... I'm sure these are the first of many funny stories ahead for us!
Here's our Oliver James
2 weeks old







6 comments:
Hey, if we all had chocolate milk, I don't think a single new mom would suffer nursing difficulties!
That is seriously the cutest thing. : ) That gabe is hilarous!!
I love those stories. It was so fun to hang out with you guys and take pictures! Oliver is such a cute sweet baby and i love Gabe. 'What Tamille doin mommy?' So cute.
How cute!! We will look forward to the cute stories that will come.
So sweet! And Gabe's comments are so funny-I love it!
Did Oliver sleep through his entire first bath? If so, that's incredible!
He is so handsome. I want to come see you both again and get some baby holding in before he gets any bigger. I miss it so and it hasn't been that long for me.
Post a Comment