Oliver James
7 pounds 8 ounces
19 inches long


at my doctor's appointment on Monday afternoon I was dilated to 4 cm and 90% effaced! Dr. K stripped my membranes and said he'd go ahead and schedule an induction for Thursday, but that he'd be surprised if I made it through the night... I was really hoping he was right! and then I got really nervous that he would be right... He said to come in to the hospital if I started having contractions that were 5 minutes apart for about 45 minutes. He said "be sure not to wait too long...you are already well on your way to having this baby."
After the appointment I met Glen for a little shopping...slippers, mints, chap stick... you know the child birthing necessities. :) Glen was all excited and kept asking me how I was feeling and telling me to let him know when I was having contractions... I tried not to let him know that they were every five minutes and had been since I'd left the doctors office. Did I mention that I was nervous?...I kept telling him that they were just braxston hicks and I'm sure they'd stop any minute ...I was trying to talk my body out of it...strange I know, because just hours earlier I was so ready!!?
I took Glen back to work and got home just in time to get the boys an after school snack before heading out to Mendon to take Evan to his ballroom dance class. Glen called just before we left and asked if I was still having regular contractions... "um...yes I answered" reluctantly. It had been a couple hours since my appointment so he said "you better start watching the clock, I do not want you to have him on the side of the road. I told Glen that I'd start timing them for an hour and if by 5 0'clock they were still coming then we'd head to the hosptial... "but I'm sure they'll stop by then" I added. Well 5 0' clock came very shortly and my contractions were getting stronger. Glen said he'd go and pick up Evan and I decided that I had better pack my bags for the hospital and one for the boys, just in case they didn't send me home. I was sure I would get to the hospital, my contractions would stop and I'd be coming home. Glen met me at my mom's house. We left the boys there and I told my mom to save me some dinner because we'd be back. Did I mention that I was nervous?... because I was pretty nervous...
We arrived at the hospital and got checked in. It was 7 pm. The nurse checked me. no more progress since my appointment. She asked if the doctor had stripped my membranes at the appointment that day. I told her yes. she said "well... that can sometimes just really irritate your cervix and cause you to contract for awhile, and then usually the contractions stop.... so lets just watch you and I'll call your doctor in awhile." I was a little irritated (not just my cervix) because hello? I was dilated to a four!!! This is my FOURTH baby... no longer was I hesitant and nervous... oh, no... I decided... we are having this baby!!
Sure enough, my contractions continued. Doctor K. said to go ahead with the epicural and he'd be in to break my water! we placed bets on when little Oliver would arrive... May 4th? cinco de Mayo? we'd just have to wait and see...
Around 8 0'clock Dr. K. broke my water and I was still dilated to 4 cm. Hmmmm... maybe this delivery was going to be a slow one? I thought. After awhile I noticed my contractions were really painful and strong... my epidural wasn't cutting it! I kept pushing the button on the IV trying to get more medication... but it didn't seem to be working?... I didn't want to be a wimp but finally I called the nurse in and told her I was having lots of pain! She told me to push the dosage button... "duh? what do you think I've been doing in here?" I felt like saying... but of course I didn't say that :) She looked at my epidural pump and said "oh, it's not ON... no wonder your hurting" She turned it on and said it would take awhile to catch up and to let her know if I needed anything. that hour and a half was pretty BAD...
I found myslef wondering why??? why would anyone in their right mind want to feel this pain? I just don't get it? What a relief it was once the epidural started working.
Meanwhile my mom got my kids to bed at her house and left my dad to listen for them so that she could join us at the hospital. The nurse checked me at 10 0' clock and I was dilated to 6. at 11 I was to an 8 and at 11:30 I felt ready to have him! Luckily my doctor had decided to just hang out in the lounge. the room was set up for delivery in a matter of minutes. Dr. K. barely had time to fasten his gear :) ... I pushed one time and there was his little head. a second time and Oliver arrived, fresh from heaven!!! They placed his warm little self up on my chest... I already loved the idea and dreams of him but in that instant everything changed and I loved HIM... who he is now, and what he will become. He is part of me... I helped him to grow, I felt his first movements inside of me... There is nothing better than taking part in such a miracle! He is perfect, his little spirit is so precious. I love his puppy dog sounds, his mouth when it forms into a perfect o as he yawns. His tiny fingers, long toes, full lips. He is absolutely beautiful. We are so blessed and thankful that he is here and that he is ours!
p.s. This fourth baby has been quite an adjustment for all of us. Gabe is not too sure... Evan and Eli cannot get enough and Glen is doing his best to hang in there and pick up all of my slack. He is thee best daddy and the most wonderful husband! I am so blessed that I have him to share this crazy journey with! We have a million pictures and precious moments to share... stay tuned I will post pictures tomorrow of the boys meeting Oliver for the first time.


at my doctor's appointment on Monday afternoon I was dilated to 4 cm and 90% effaced! Dr. K stripped my membranes and said he'd go ahead and schedule an induction for Thursday, but that he'd be surprised if I made it through the night... I was really hoping he was right! and then I got really nervous that he would be right... He said to come in to the hospital if I started having contractions that were 5 minutes apart for about 45 minutes. He said "be sure not to wait too long...you are already well on your way to having this baby."After the appointment I met Glen for a little shopping...slippers, mints, chap stick... you know the child birthing necessities. :) Glen was all excited and kept asking me how I was feeling and telling me to let him know when I was having contractions... I tried not to let him know that they were every five minutes and had been since I'd left the doctors office. Did I mention that I was nervous?...I kept telling him that they were just braxston hicks and I'm sure they'd stop any minute ...I was trying to talk my body out of it...strange I know, because just hours earlier I was so ready!!?
I took Glen back to work and got home just in time to get the boys an after school snack before heading out to Mendon to take Evan to his ballroom dance class. Glen called just before we left and asked if I was still having regular contractions... "um...yes I answered" reluctantly. It had been a couple hours since my appointment so he said "you better start watching the clock, I do not want you to have him on the side of the road. I told Glen that I'd start timing them for an hour and if by 5 0'clock they were still coming then we'd head to the hosptial... "but I'm sure they'll stop by then" I added. Well 5 0' clock came very shortly and my contractions were getting stronger. Glen said he'd go and pick up Evan and I decided that I had better pack my bags for the hospital and one for the boys, just in case they didn't send me home. I was sure I would get to the hospital, my contractions would stop and I'd be coming home. Glen met me at my mom's house. We left the boys there and I told my mom to save me some dinner because we'd be back. Did I mention that I was nervous?... because I was pretty nervous...
We arrived at the hospital and got checked in. It was 7 pm. The nurse checked me. no more progress since my appointment. She asked if the doctor had stripped my membranes at the appointment that day. I told her yes. she said "well... that can sometimes just really irritate your cervix and cause you to contract for awhile, and then usually the contractions stop.... so lets just watch you and I'll call your doctor in awhile." I was a little irritated (not just my cervix) because hello? I was dilated to a four!!! This is my FOURTH baby... no longer was I hesitant and nervous... oh, no... I decided... we are having this baby!!
Sure enough, my contractions continued. Doctor K. said to go ahead with the epicural and he'd be in to break my water! we placed bets on when little Oliver would arrive... May 4th? cinco de Mayo? we'd just have to wait and see...
Around 8 0'clock Dr. K. broke my water and I was still dilated to 4 cm. Hmmmm... maybe this delivery was going to be a slow one? I thought. After awhile I noticed my contractions were really painful and strong... my epidural wasn't cutting it! I kept pushing the button on the IV trying to get more medication... but it didn't seem to be working?... I didn't want to be a wimp but finally I called the nurse in and told her I was having lots of pain! She told me to push the dosage button... "duh? what do you think I've been doing in here?" I felt like saying... but of course I didn't say that :) She looked at my epidural pump and said "oh, it's not ON... no wonder your hurting" She turned it on and said it would take awhile to catch up and to let her know if I needed anything. that hour and a half was pretty BAD...
I found myslef wondering why??? why would anyone in their right mind want to feel this pain? I just don't get it? What a relief it was once the epidural started working.
Meanwhile my mom got my kids to bed at her house and left my dad to listen for them so that she could join us at the hospital. The nurse checked me at 10 0' clock and I was dilated to 6. at 11 I was to an 8 and at 11:30 I felt ready to have him! Luckily my doctor had decided to just hang out in the lounge. the room was set up for delivery in a matter of minutes. Dr. K. barely had time to fasten his gear :) ... I pushed one time and there was his little head. a second time and Oliver arrived, fresh from heaven!!! They placed his warm little self up on my chest... I already loved the idea and dreams of him but in that instant everything changed and I loved HIM... who he is now, and what he will become. He is part of me... I helped him to grow, I felt his first movements inside of me... There is nothing better than taking part in such a miracle! He is perfect, his little spirit is so precious. I love his puppy dog sounds, his mouth when it forms into a perfect o as he yawns. His tiny fingers, long toes, full lips. He is absolutely beautiful. We are so blessed and thankful that he is here and that he is ours!
p.s. This fourth baby has been quite an adjustment for all of us. Gabe is not too sure... Evan and Eli cannot get enough and Glen is doing his best to hang in there and pick up all of my slack. He is thee best daddy and the most wonderful husband! I am so blessed that I have him to share this crazy journey with! We have a million pictures and precious moments to share... stay tuned I will post pictures tomorrow of the boys meeting Oliver for the first time.






12 comments:
Congratulations! He is SO BEAUTIFUL! What a little angel baby... Glad to see you and baby Oliver are doing so well.:)
He is so adorable!! Good job hanging in there toughie!! Seriously! I can't wait to see him in person and give him big snuggles.
Congratulations Huber Family! So excited for you and your sweet Oliver James!
Murrays
Oooh! He is so sweet! I am so so so happy for you and Glen. Oliver is such a lucky little man to be born into your wonderful family. He looks a lot like Gabe to me...? I am wiping the tears your words gave me. I love the birth story, as if I were right back in that moment with my little man! You are the BEST! So glad he is here, and you are not pregnant any more :) Wish I could see him {and you} :( I will just keep checking your blog 10 times a day for more pics!! xoxo
He is so sweet! 4 was an adjustment for us too--I felt SO outnumbered! :) You'll do great though--so happy for you all.
Congrats, he is finally here! I am so excited for you and cannot wait to give him a little snuggle. Good job tough Momma. Happy Mom's Day!
I also am wiping the tears away as I read your blog. Isn't that just the greatest experience to have that new little baby in your arms? I think you feel so close to Heavenly Father and feel His love so much at the birth of a new little spirit into your home. Love you guys!! And, Happy Mother's Day to a special mother.
This is Aunt Kathy, Wow congratulations we are so very happy for you. He is a doll to be sure! You are the cutest, bestest, mom ever! Happy Mother's day Kiddo! Love from Uncle Clair and Kathy! Your family Rocks!
WOO HOO!!!! What an adorable post and an adorable BABY!!! Congrats girlie girl. I was laughing when you wrote about your membranes being stripped! I TOTALLY felt the same way! "What have I done! Am I ready?! AAAHHH!!! Your epidural episode... Crazy!!! I would have freaked out. WHAT!!! It wasn't even on!? Oliver is B-U-tiful! Like all your gorgeous boys. He was early right? What a perfect addition to your lovely family! I'll keep checking for pics!
Congrats Glen & Em! We are excited for you. Can't wait to see Oliver in July!
John & Kristen
He is a beautiful baby! I've been checking back to see if you had your baby! Congratulations. You tell things so well! Don't you just love those nurses when you are in PAIN and they just seem not to care! What a great addition to your three handsome boys!
Post a Comment