When I was in nursing school I was lucky enough to witness what I found to be one of the most sacred and special moments in time... seeing a tiny baby... an angel... so fresh from heaven taking it's first breath. It was magical. I will never forget trying to be "professional" as I did my best to hold back tears of joy for the families who allowed me, as a nursing student to witness and be part of such an event. I was overcome with awe at what a miracle a baby is! When I asked my doctor, who delivered my first three boys why he chose obstetrics as his choice of practice, he answered, "there's nothing better than having a job where you get to take part in and witness miracles everyday." Babies truly are miracles and I decided then that unlike some people's views It was impossible for me to look at labor and delivery as something to be embarrassed about or grossed out by... it is simply too special to take so lightly. Not very often does the opportunity arise to witness the birth of a baby. So when it came time for me to have my own babies I wanted to of course, share it with others. When I had Evan, Glen and I invited my little sister Julie and my mom to be there... It was so neat to have them there to share in our joy! I wish my sister Sara could have come too, but too many miles were between us then and she was expecting her first baby too! Since then, my mom has been able to be there to help us welcome all of our little boys (oh, except Eli... he came too fast and it was a blizzard outside she barely missed it!) I know that she feels the same way that I do about how wonderful babies are and I also think that she has a special bond with my babies because she was there for the anticipation of their arrival, she held her breath waiting for them to take their first breath, she saw them struggle to get here... the miracle of life... there is nothing like it!
I am so grateful that I have such a strong relationship with my mom. She is my friend. I am so lucky that we live so close to my parents, that my kids can see their grandparents everyday... that my mom and dad can see Oliver changing day to day and that they love my kids like they do! I am so thankful to my mom and Dad for helping us get settled with baby number four. My kids could not be in better hands, My mom told them the news of Oliver's birth, she loved them and took care of them while I was in the hoppital. Gabe adores his grandpa and wouldn't let him out of his sight while I was away. They helped them to be more excited about our new addition. My mom has come over everyday... brought me lunch, mopped my floors, put Gabe down for naps, held Oliver, done my shopping, made us all dinner, cleaned, done my laundry and insisted that I take it easy! not to mention all the new baby shopping, sewing projects, and best of all... her excitement for me in welcoming another little boy!! oh, how I love my mom!!She is everything that a mom should be and I am grateful
to have her example, her love and her friendship!
The day after Oliver was born the boys stayed home from school so that they could come and meet him. they were so excited!! It was so cute to see them burst into my hospital room wearing their "big brother" shirts, carrying flowers and cards and glowing with smiles and curious eyes
My dad helped Gabe create this card for me...
And below are notes from Evan...
Such sweet boys!
Each time I have a baby my grandma and gradpa Murray come to be some of the first to meet them. It means so much to me that they come to the hospital. I love how they inspect every little baby part and name who's features the baby has, they decide what color hair and eyes they will have and then they tell stories of their own kids and life expereinces. I feel so lucky to live near them! I love hearing my grandma talk about delivering her babies "the old fashioned way!"... now those are true miracle babies! I love to hear her telling about boiling bottles for sterilization, sharing old homeade remedies, the nurses who took care of her, post partum mom's on bed rest for two weeks, babies drinking cow's milk, etc... boy, have things changed!!! I did not get a picture of my grandma and grandpa with Oliver, Glen had taken the camera home... but I am so glad that they came to welcome him and to show their love for us!
Glen and Ollie... I think they look just alike in this picture??
Oliver and grandpa Paul






2 comments:
What a special time! Oliver is so blessed to be welcomed into your family. You are an amazing mom! I love you.
I think Oliver definitely is the cutest baby in the nursery!! And, he and Glen do look alike!! :) both really cute!
Post a Comment