Happy Birthday Dad!
(my dad holding Gabriel 05/07)
Today is my Dad's Birthday!! If we were in Logan, just about now we'd be celebrating eating a delicious Birthday dinner at mom's house accompanied by a yummy Birthday cake and ice cream for dessert! since we are not there. I just want to let him know that we're thinking about him today!! sure love you Dad...
Here are a few tid-bits about My dad...
There are a few treats that he loves, but doesn't eat unless its a special occasion... black licorice and peanuts, Dad also likes any treat that is sour! He loves little sentimental trinkets... he is very thoughful and collects things that mean a lot to him or remind him of special things. He is a big fan of sports, he played all sports growing up and even played basketball for Logan High. he especially loves soccer! He served his mission in England, so he likes things that remind him of England. He LOVES books, and reads a lot. I credit my dad for instilling in me my love of reading... I remeber him sitting on the steps, each of us tucked into our beds, listening to Dad read out loud to us. Each character had a special voice, he made every story come alive! He has a passion for music, one of the best collections I've seen. He likes grapefurit juice, orange juice, root beer... pretty much any drink... he is always mixing them, making some pretty interesting concoctions, usually they are pretty good too!! My dad doesn't like milk... he eats his cold cereal with Chocolate milk... he WILL NOT drink white milk! My dad is an educator, a really good one too! he taught elementary school-fifth grade for a long time, and has most recently been a principal in the Logan city school district! He is an advocate for students and teachers and has a deep love for education. He has made a BIG differnce in the lives of many children and teachers who have been lucky enough to associate with him! My dad can make the best animal sounds ever. He sounds just like the real thing! My personal favorites are a horse and a cow!! Once I was on a "sound scavenger hunt" with the YM/YW, where we had to tape record certain sounds. Whoever got them all first- won. Our group couldn't get a cow to moo, so I volunteered my dad... no one knew the difference!! An interesting fact...My dad has a twin sister and 5 other siblings, they ALL grew up in a two bedroom house! He made some really cool science projects for me in middle school and he always helped me with my homework!! He is very generous, he loves to buy things for his kids and grandkids! He likes his toast burned, and he eats vineger on almost anything! Lets see....I could go on and on, but I will finish up with my #1 favorite thing about my dad and that is that he loves my mom! He teases her and he holds her hand, he hugs her and does nice things for her. They are still so in love! I remember them dancing in the kitchen to Anne Murray or Kenny Rogers when I was little... they have always shown respect and affection for each other. I think that because of the way I saw my dad treat my mom that he in turn helped me to look for that LOVE and tenderness in my husband!!
Now for any of you who knew me in high school, you may wonder if this is the same girl who you knew... the one who didn't really like her dad... Yup, it's me... and I'm blaming all that on being a bratty teenager!! How could anyone not like my dad? He is one great guy and my life is blessed because I'm his daughter!!!
Happy birthday dad!!
I love you!!!





2 comments:
Our dad really is the BEST! What a fitting tribute for him -those are all things that I love about him too!
wow Em you are such a good writer!!! I can't beleive how well you put your thoughts down. I'm jealous. I'm getting better though I'm learning from you and getting ideas!!!
this is Julie Jenkins BTW not Julie the sister :)
Post a Comment