
One of our neighbors who had headed out earlier and was ahead of Glen finallly made it to the school! His wife called me to let me know that once he got there he found out that the bus our kids ride left the school on time and had not yet returned to the school !! This was now several hours since school dismissed... and all those little kids were somewhere out there!!my stomach dropped and my heart began to pound!! Where were my kids?? I tried to call Glen but at this point there was no cellular service. I called my mom getting some much needed comfort as I tried to explain the situation to her. I quickly hung up in order to try to get more details. But then my home phone was not allowing calls to come in or out. the power kept flickering on and off... It was a nightmare!!! Here I was trapped in! With snow on every window, not sure, unable to contact my family or Glen, completely worried sick! I wondered if Glen was ok and I had no idea what the circumstances were for my kids! Luckily- the phones worked to call within the neigborhood so my wonderful friends kept calling and we'd try our best to keep each others spirits up and talk about what we'd heard. Some people had spotty cellular coverage and were keeping in contact when possible. Many girls in my neighborhood, had husbands who were stuck on their way home from work, and had no way of getting their kids from the school except to load up their other babies and head out. Which some of them did! This made the traffic even worse... everyone was just worried and wanted to see their kids and I think people didn't realize how bad the storm was until they were out there and it was too late to turn back!

Because of where he told me he was when he got the boys I figured that even with the bad conditions he would be home in about an hour... Boy, was I wrong!!!I didn't hear from him again until THREE hours later at 11:00 pm.... In the meantime, we kept hearing that the highway patrol and a snow plow were escorting the bus back to the school, but Glen said that the bus driver told him that he was heading the other direction if he could. Because the traffic was so bad... because it was such a white out and because the bus driver was a substitute and didn't know the area, and couldn't see to tell them where he was... (SEE like I said NIGHTMARE!!) anyway because of all these things combined emergency vehicles could not quickly get to the bus. Once they did they realized that the bus was not going anywhere... it was stuck in the snow bank on the side of the road. So... finally the students were transported by the highway patrol off of the bus and to a near by LDS church house at about 11:oo pm- They had been on the bus for nearly 8 hours... One mom who found the bus earlier in the evening had dropped of some groceries for snacks that she had in her car, the kids were able to exit the bus if they needed to use the bathroom, but had to brave the 70 mph wind and pelting snow! needless to say there were potty accidents, it was dark outside, they didn't know the driver, they were scared, thirsty, hungry little children!! It was just awful! But finally they were getting off of the bus and everyone was hoping to be reunited... many parents were at the school waiting or on the roads still driving to or from the school... and it would take them several hours to finally be together!!! Our stake president, who had to pick up his children from the church, was aware of several people's circumstances and wanted to help however he could! He talked to the chief of police who let him take his truck, along with a few other troopers, they came into our neighborhood and picked up parents who were unable to leave and they took them back to the church to be able to get their kids. And then returned them to their homes. The last children were picked up from the church around 2:00 AM. Several children were never able to get home from the school and had to stay overnight, with parents and teachers who were there.

The local news and radio channels covered this story... but I feel that they left out lots of important details and didn't show the real chaos it created... Maybe thats because it's hard to match the chaos and worry in a mothers heart!! ...Since we experienced this day first hand along with our friends and neighbors we know of mix-up's, several miracles and lots of heartbreaking stories too, that never made it to the news... We are just so glad that the day is over and hope that those who are still struggling will find peace!!! I promised that if I could just get my kids back safely that I would be the most patient mom and that they would never "get on my nerves" again! Well, I'm not sure how long that will last.... but I hope I can remember the feelings and deep love for my boys that was renewed in my heart because of this experience!!!
P.S. School was cancelled the next day, Valentine's day, and that morning the highway was still closed and officers were checking I.D. and only letting people in who lived up here. They discouraged people from leaving, and sent many people back
to their homes until later in the morning.





5 comments:
Man, I am still bawling! That is the scariest story. I had heard that this happened to people down in Salt Lake area, but I didn't know anyone personally! I just kept thinking of Bry and how I would feel if he was lost and I couldn't see if for 10 hours! What a scary thing for you! I'm so glad that you guys are ok!
Reading your blog brought tears to my eyes. I was on the phone with Glen several times during the evening. We were worried and said prayers for you all and we are so grateful you were watched over and protected during that storm. It was really quite the storm. There were winds 70 miles per hour just blowing the snow horizontally. So many people had to stay the night in many different places. I hope the boys write down their experiences too. Love you all, Grandma Huber
I can not believe it. I heard that kids were not able to get home but I didn't not that is was Traverse Mountain until I read Julie's blog. I'm so glad your boys and your husband returned home safe.
Crazy stuff. I can't imagine that - I would be totally freaking out. Poor kids. I am sure that Evan and Eli were so relieved to see Glen coming - I would be. Glad they are all safe. I am ready for spring!!!
I am so glad this day is over. I am so thankful for our children's saftey.
Post a Comment