We really look forward to holidays around here! I credit most of that to my mom, who always made holiday's special and created lots of little traditions, most of which I've carried on, changing some to fit the needs of my family and adding some here and there too!! I don't know that it was so much the day that was special as we were growing up, it was the fun the anticipation the feeling... all that combined together made us kids feel special! I remeber that when my mom pulled out the cross stitched tiny heart pillows, with a pocket on the back, our nicknames sewn on the front... that Valentine's day was getting close! ....Thank you to my mom for setting the bar and being a great mama! Well... I try to follow her example, right? and I just love any excuse for decorating, special little surprises, games, seeing my boys get excited etc... anyway... we do have a few fun traditions that lead up to Valentine's Day and Evan and Eli were so excited for the day to get here!!
The boys were home from school on Valentine's Day due to the nightmare day before (read all about it...a few posts below...) They were curious when they saw two packages sitting on the kitchen table, and became very excited when they noticed that they were addressed to
EVAN and ELI Huber...
Grandma Karen wrote them each a little note using conversation hearts! She had no way of knowing that the kids would be home from school that day, and that her Valentine would be the perfect thing for a day stuck at home!... A movie and some treats!!
The other package was from Grandma and Grandpa Huber
They sent a Valentine card with a sweet note written inside along with LOTS of Evan and Eli's favorite Treats! Added together- the boys felt very special and loved, had a new movie to watch and plenty of treats to eat while watching it!!
Glen and I do something special together on Valentine's day, after the kids are in bed!! With little ones around and the day usually falling on a school night- ... we've kind of turned the holiday into a day for ALL of us to share our love!! One thing that we do as a family each year on or around Valentine's Day is have a "Love party"
This year I put hearts all around the house, written on them were some of the reasons why I love my boys! I hung some for Glen above the door so that he'd be showered with love when he walked in the door, home from work!
A while ago I was telling Glen that it would like to own a TV tray. I remeber going to my Grandma Evan's house when I was little and using her TV tray. I didn't even have to have a meal... I would just fill up a glass of water and set it on the tray. It was the coolest thing ever!! I can still remeber her tray. It was metal and had big flowers and leaves on it! Glen told me that his family used to have TV tray's and on special occaions they would get them out and eat dinner together while sitting on the couch or during movie nights they would use them as a a place to put their popcorn!!!... that sold me!! He had loving memories of TV tray's and so did I!! I added them to my (forever growing) wish list!! Well guess what I got for Valentine's day??? a very nice note written by my sweetheart, a secret post on my blog, a set of TV tray's and a cozy microfleece blanket! It was so thoughful of Glen!! Now I can curl up and watch a movie and have a place to put my popcorn!! I was SO excited...especially because earlier in the evening I thought Glen had forgotten... yup, it's happened before (he's come a long way in 12 years)... so there for a minute I was a little bummed...he said he was just "saving it for later" I just wish he would have at least told me that... anyway it was a day filled with love in the air...at least for the most part anyway!!
Below are some of my favorite pictures of my Valentine's
My whole world... the love of my life... my boys!!
xoxo





4 comments:
I have to tell you I remember the metal flower tv trays also. I think that both of my grandmas had them. An annual candlelight dinner is such a great idea for valentine's day.
Seriously!!! Emily you are the cutest mom and wife! I love it! Mom always made a big deal of holidays when were growing up - It was so fun! I loved those cross-stitched hearts - super steve, sweet sara, brown eyes and baby doll!
You are the cutest! I love all your ideas. Your boys are so lucky to have you!!
You are such a cute mom!! I put paper hearts all over our apartment for Kent this year, too, and it was so fun. I loved the pictures of your kitchen--your house is adorable!
Post a Comment