Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Wildlife... not so wild!

Living so near the foot hills we've had a few encounters with wild animals. A GIANT snake last summer... seriously, it was at least 3 feet long and really fat, I think it must have just eaten a rabbit family or possibly a small child!!! I LIKE snakes but this one freaked me out!!! Our neighbor came to the rescue for that one... This winter we have seen lots of deer, which is so exciting! I remeber when I was little, driving home from my Grandma and Grandpa Murray's house each Sunday night and watching for herds of deer in their yard or other people's yard's nearby. Grandma and Grandpa live close to the mountains and I remember dreaming about someday living in a place where I could have deer walk into my yard!



Last week just after the boys arrived home from school I saw a movement through the window, out of the corner of my eye, and there, just five feet away was a DEER in MY backyard!!! I quietly got the boys attention, and we whispered, trying not to scare her. She kept looking right as us through the sliding glass door and pretty soon, (after lots of squeels and pounds on the glass, courtesy of Gabriel) we realized that she wasn't scared of us at all... or just really desperate for some food! Pretty soon along came a few more deer.... It was incredible!! I felt like a wildlife photographer... too bad the pictures don't look like I'm a wildlife photographer, but I seriously took about 50 pictures... just imagine 10 copies of each of these pictures and thats what I shot... I know I 'm nuts!! Iwas just SO excited... I couldn't help it!!!





The boys put some carrots out on the patio, hoping our friends the deer will come back!!
I sure hope they do!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I think I would have been a little nervous - have you seen the deer on "When Wild Animals Attack"? Don't let Evan see it. Yikes! :)

Curtis Moser said...

You don't have to be in Logan to see wildlife in your yard, I guess! Who would have thought?! Those are great pictures-- and I think I've heard of snakes around your house that eat little kids. There were a couple of alleged snake-abducted children that I know of last summer, so watch out!

Julie said...

Hey I love those Pics my kids would be sooo jealous, we go driving looking for deer alot over by the gliding park but not out backyard, well not that we've seen them.

Becca and Kent said...

My mom told me all about the horrible snowstorm you had yesterday and about Evan and Eli on the bus. That's so crazy!! I'm so glad that they were all right and that Glen was able to (eventually) get them home safely. I guess that just comes with living in an area where you can have deer in the backyard!